Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #1

Electric hotplate for cooking suggestions?

I'm deleting the propane system in my Sprinter conversion design and would like to hear recommended brands and models of electric hotplates. Also if you have a hotplate built into the galley top I'd like to see a picture or info about that. Thanks!

John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

Your problem is going to be that electric heating elements take a lot of electricity. Unless you are going to be connected to shore power, they will pull the house battery down very quickly...

Now for someone to prove me wrong! <g>
Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

Actually, Jack's being conservative.

To actually cook, instead of warm, food, you're looking at a hotplate in the 1000w+ range. There are smaller versions, of course, but they will not be as hot and will thus take longer to cook.

I'm not aware of an actual 12v hot plate that will do more than warm up stuff, but assuming you could find one at 1000w then you'd use about 42 amp-hours for every hour the plate was in use. That's 42% of a 100 amp-hour battery.

Given that it's bad on batteries to draw them below 50% of capacity before recharging, that one hour of use pretty much is it unless you have solar power, shore power, or more battery. Hardley anything left for the refrigerator (which draws about this itself each day, give or take, lights, pumps, music, TV, etc).

If you run a 110v hotplate through an inverter, it's even worse because of the conversion loss and draw from the inverter.

I'd like to suggest that if you are dead-set against propane (or diesel, if you are buting a diesel SMB), you look into a portable butane stove. The canistes are not dirt-cheap, but you can cook for a weekend for about $1.50 - $2.00 per hour (S.F. Bay Area prices).
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Here are links to a bunch of 12 V stuff but I have no idea if these devices work well.
http://www.12voltaccessoryoutlet.com/ca ... ategory=65
http://www.roadtrucker.com/

I also prefer small portable stoves that can be used inside and out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re: Electric hotplate for cooking suggestions?

Hi John,

I'll assume you'll be on grid for your hotplate

I think your best bet it to go simple. The consumer variety of electric hotplates is huge. You also have the flexibility to get a singe hotplate and an electric griddle

If I were to order my SMB, I'd skip propane and use the butate burners suggested here several times. The butane burns hotter than propane and faster than electric. the space used is minimal. you can put the stove anywhere when you cook...handy on a hot day

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rich
I'm deleting the propane system in my Sprinter conversion design and would like to hear recommended brands and models of electric hotplates. Also if you have a hotplate built into the galley top I'd like to see a picture or info about that. Thanks!

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote