Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

Electrical Circuit/Diagrams for review! (please)

Hi everybody. I'm finally starting to make some real progress on my van build. I'd like to get some feedback on my electrical plans.

The rev0 is a detailed version of the typical format that I've seen on the forum for an electrical layout. I was having trouble tracking all the loops though when it came time for wire sizing, so I made an easier diagram (rev1) that I would have used back in my circuits class (many moons ago). Personally, I find it much easier to visualize the flow of power through the system.

Here is my plan on battery/solar panel sizing:

My estimated daily (24-hour) consumption is about 60Ah
My estimated nightly consumption (Sunset to Sunrise) is about 25Ah

On average I'd like to enter the evening on a full-charge and then be waking up in the morning in a 25 Ah deficit, which should be no more than 20% of my usable battery capacity. This sets my usable battery capacity at 125Ah and my total battery capacity at 250Ah. Therefore, I will be waking up every morning with a 90% SOC.

If my basis for charging is solar, I will need to have the ability to put in net 25Ah to my batteries during the daylight hours. During that period I will also be using about 35 Ah. I'm thinking that I'll need a solar array between 200-300 Watts depending how I mount it (tilt vs flat).

One think i know i have not accounted for yet is battery de-rating in cold weather. I haven't done the calcs on this yet, but I know it will probably push me up to a 300W battery bank. Meh.

The pictures don't show up very large, so I've got a link to my website where you can find larger (not much) pictures... I'm trying to figure out how to make them bigger..... https://rondevan.weebly.com/electrical.html

Thanks in advance for the reviews!
Attached Thumbnails
electrical diagram rev1.jpg   Electrical diagram rev0.jpg  

van.on.the.run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

The rev 1 diagram looks better for the flow, the not shown items make it look like your wiring from positive busbar to negative busbar at first glance. The rev2 version is nice for the detailed connections.

If you are only looking at single phase 30 amp AC shore power than MS-2000-15 would be a few bucks cheaper, Also not sure what the 45 amp breaker was intended for?

You might want to look at a ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus
or similar product that has a negative bus, this would allow you to do away with the 150 amp negative busbar.

You don''t have lengths from house bat to busbars and than to inverter, so it would be hard to specify wire size, but the magnum manual does a good job on describing that any way.

I am not sure that I would count on tilting more solar panels, as this means not only do you have to get up on top of RV to tilt, but you also need to orientate the vehicle in the right direction. This can proof difficult to find a great location that meets those needs. I think I would target at least 360 watts of solar.

You did not mention the vehicle this was going?

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Attachment 19649Thank you Greg for having a look. Let me answer your comments/questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
the not shown items make it look like your wiring from positive busbar to negative busbar at first glance.
The reason i didn't bother detailing these were because the wire sizes have already been chosen by the manufacturer. For example, the TM-2030 recommends a bundled cable with two #22 twisted pair wires that run from the positive battery terminal (positive bus bar) to the shunt. The remote switch for the Blue Sea 7622 has a 5 wire bundle of #20 wires; one of these wires goes to the positve bus bar and the other goes to ground (via negative bus bar). The other wires connect directly to the 7622 which I don't need to keep track of on a diagram.

Quote:
If you are only looking at single phase 30 amp AC shore power than MS-2000-15 would be a few bucks cheaper, Also not sure what the 45 amp breaker was intended for?
I already have the 2012-15B. I went back and forth between these and the 1012 models and ended up super sizing. Time will tell if I went too big... i probably did. The 45 amp breaker is called out in Magnum's user manual and it is just saying that to use the full charging and pass-thru capability the max breaker input required is 45A single pole.

Quote:
You might want to look at a ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus
#5031 or similar product that has a negative bus, this would allow you to do away with the 150 amp negative busbar.
Yes I agree, that's what I should have bought, but I already have the 150A bus bar and the fuse panel

I've got wire run lengths now, and I will update with a new drawing.

I wasn't planning on tiliting roof-mounted panels. I don't have a roof rack yet, so I was thinking about buying portable solar panels and building frames for them until i can roof mount. Is this a bad idea?

My rig is a 2015 MB 2500 sprinter 4-cyl. I'll attach some current pictures.

Thanks again for looking this over.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical Diagram Rev3.pdf (228.4 KB, 17 views)
van.on.the.run is offline   Reply With Quote