Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #11

Re: Electrical guru please!

Probably the best way to tell if you are charging is to monitor the system voltage. Sitting, without charging, it will be around 12.4-12.6V. When charging it will be over 13V. When the house batteries get over 13.2V, the separator should switch and start to charge the starting batteries also. If you have the little SMB supplied voltmeter, just stick it into a camper 12V outlet to monitor that system, and into the dash cigar lighter to monitor the starting batteries.

If you don't have a voltmeter, do you have a friend who has one? You can come by my house and I can check it for you.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #12

was sunny today when I plugged in and it did seem like 13+ volts, but I failed to review it prior.

what I hear you saying is that if plugged in, I should be getting a higher reading first in camper 12v check, then once "charged" I begin to charge starting batteries.

Is this correct?

thanks!

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

If you have a standard separator, it will sample the voltage and if either side of the separator (the starting or house battery system) is below around 12.8vDC the separator will open and the charge generally begins on the house system. Then once the house battery system reaches above around 13.2, the separator will click closed and combine the two banks. It will then charge the starting battery system. It does the reverse when the engine alternator is supplying the charge.

I don’t keep my charger on unless it’s overcast and something in on in the van. I have AGM batteries and those can hold a full charge for a day with only slight draw from things like the CO detector. I do plug into shore power when I run the refrigerator while the van sits. My solar will keep both chassis and house batteries up in most conditions. At night while sitting in the driveway and the solar isn’t working, I rely on the shore power to supply the refrigerator.

If you get in your van at night and the shore power is off, you can leave a light on for a few hours then go out and check the voltage. Then plug into your shore power, kick on your charger, and see if the voltage jumps up. You’ll know right away if the charger is working. Sometimes even the light gets a little brighter.

Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

so if I am only using the van a day or two every few weeks during cold in the winter, is it best to keep plugged in? I heard someone say it won't hurt anything, others claim just a day or two every few weeks?

thoughts?

2010 SMB
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
so if I am only using the van a day or two every few weeks during cold in the winter, is it best to keep plugged in? I heard someone say it won't hurt anything, others claim just a day or two every few weeks?

thoughts?
When I have mine parked for extended periods of time, I plug it in once a week for 24 hours. My house battery has never been below 12.2 volts. I also drive it about 12 miles on the highway at least once every two weeks.

Woody
Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Carl,

I have been wondering about this too. My SMB is bundled up for the winter rains and I keep an electric heater in it set to maintain 40F so it needs to be plugged to shore power all the time. Was poking around on the Lifeline Battery site, http://www.lifelinebatteries.com, and came across the user manual. They have the following to say about battery storage.

"Storage:

The following recommendations may be helpful if the battery is to be stored:
When storing the battery, it is not necessary to leave it on charge. Disconnect the negative battery cable. This will prevent inadvertent discharging of the battery that may lead to a complete discharge.
Fully charge the battery before putting it in storage and store in a cool place.
Boost charge the battery every 3 months to ensure maximum battery life."

Since I need to stay plugged into shore power for the heater I will be disconnecting my house battery tomorrow after work.

I also like Woody's comment about taking her out for a drive every few weeks.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Keeping the battery voltage at above 12.8 is your goal. It’s the best way to prolong the batteries health. You do need to monitor voltage. When cycling the batteries, get them back up to the proper voltage ASAP. Overcharging should be avoided but AGM batteries can sit for longer periods of time than wet cell types as I posted already. On the other hand, cold weather is a huge factor with AGM’s. If you go to my buddy’s site and read the several links provided in the article, it should provide the correct charging procedures. http://autoramblings.com/blog/?p=386

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #18

Carl:
I added a HELLA MARINE battery switch to my house battery. It disconnects the ground of the battery when the van is not in use, no drain from any source. I added a simple NEMA PVC box to the side of the inside battery box & installed the switch, added a 2nd heavy gauge black ground lead between the ground battery terminal and the vehicle ground lead in the sealed box.
Easy 1/4 turn key to switch on on/off. Hella Marine #87181, Defender Marine. NEMA box from McMaster Carr. I will try to get some photo's to send you.

I basically winterize (RV antifreeze through-out), clean and leave the refrig open, house battery off. I try to drive the van every week or two during the winter, I also charge the system once a month for 24hrs. At charging I turn the house battery on & usually see 12+V before the AC regulator kicks in, then 13.XX running the charge.

I have a new house and van batteries. I purchased a Life Line house battery.

Bill
seabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #19

thanks for help on this!

2010 SMB
Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #20

So someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong:
I use the Sprinter several times a month, usually two drives of 30 to 90 minutes each time.
I have the Sprinter in a garage heated to about 50F. (Solar obviously not generating anything)
When in the garage, the Sprinter is "plugged into" a 30A source.
The refrigerator is running (things in it).
Whenever I check and it's in the garage, it usually says "Float Charging 13.2". If I check after it's been parked somewhere not connected to shore power, it drops down to 12.8, sometimes 12.7.
Am I heading for a battery or other disaster? Or am I good to go?
Thanks!
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote