Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #11

Have been looking at combined DC to DC chargers with MPPT input and came across one from Renogy, https://www.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30...ger-with-mppt/. Comes in both a 30 amp and 50 amp versions. Anyone here using one?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Have been looking at combined DC to DC chargers with MPPT input and came across one from Renogy, https://www.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30...ger-with-mppt/. Comes in both a 30 amp and 50 amp versions. Anyone here using one?
I saw this as well and Scalf77 posted about it on another thread (Link). From everything I have seen from Scalf77 I would say his opinion holds a lot of weight as he is the expert. My biggest hesitancy with it and what led me away from it was the lack of reviews, and the mixed reviews of Renogy in general. Seems like a cool product with some pretty neat features, but for me it just didn't seem like the right thing. That's also just one opinion with very limited actual experience with any of these products, so I would take that with a grain of salt.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

In my LiFePO4 setup I abandoned my SurePower isolator and replaced it with a Renogy 40a DC-DC charger. It does everything it's supposed to and has operated flawlessly although it's not overly laden with features. Set up was a little confusing (note though since buying mine, Renogy updated its user manual for this charger so this is no longer an issue). Since installing this charger, there have been other DC-DC chargers that have come to market. Had I to do it over again I would seriously consider DC-DC chargers with MPPT input and and compatible (eg bluetooth) with other equipment, like the Victron, or a charger with adjustable output, like the KISAE.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
Figured I would do another post just to get any additional feedback as well as have some record for the next person that might be looking to do something similar. Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions!

I updated the wiring diagram to take in account the notes provided by Scalf77 and think I have made my final decision for components. See below.

Final Components list:
- Batteries:
2 x 100AH 12v LiFePO4 Battle Born
- DC/DC Charger:
Victron Orion-TR 12v/12v-30A Isolated Charger
- Inverter/Charge:
Xantrex Freedom XC 2000W/80A
- Battery Monitor:
Victron MNV-712 Smart
- Solar Controller:
Victron BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller
- Distribution
WFCO WF-8930/50 Series Distribution Panel W/ 12AC/15DC Branches
Wow! I'm glad I stumbled across your wiring diagram!

Do you have a list of parts (and corresponding links) you purchased for your setup saved anywhere? Shot in the dark, I know.

I've got a few of the main components you used (Inverter/Charger, Distribution Center, LifePo4 batteries, etc.) and keep getting bogged down with what wire, how many feet to purchase, and the fuse situation! Send help 😂
TritonTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonTamer View Post
Wow! I'm glad I stumbled across your wiring diagram!

Do you have a list of parts (and corresponding links) you purchased for your setup saved anywhere? Shot in the dark, I know.

I've got a few of the main components you used (Inverter/Charger, Distribution Center, LifePo4 batteries, etc.) and keep getting bogged down with what wire, how many feet to purchase, and the fuse situation! Send help 😂
I know the feeling! I don't have a complete list but I end up re-doing the electrical layout slightly from the one that is posted on this thread. I posted some additional info about the final specs and stuff on my main build thread. Here is the link (I think it's around post 67).

I would suggest going with the Victron Lynx system as it made everything very clean and easy instead of multiple busbars as shown on the diagram posted. I thought I had shared my final diagram, but I may have forgotten to do that. Also as far as wire I went with all tinned marine grade wire from Pacer Group . When I was doing the electrical most suppliers didn't have any stock and if they did they were up charging a ridiculous amount (ie. Amazon). Their wire seemed like good quality at a decent value. I used a bunch of different gauge wires depending on the application. Far Out Ride has some great info along with a neat calculator to help determine the best size wire and fuses needed. The biggest suggestion I can make when it comes to figuring out how much wire to order would be to roughly tape out your wire runs and then add a lot of extra to your total! I had thought I had it all figured out exactly based on measuring and modeling my wiring system but when it came down to it I was short on almost every wire type. That lead to delays and added cost since the price of wire fluctuates and they didn't have free shipping.

Sorry, I don't have more specific info, but I hope some of this helps. Also, don't hesitate to ask any other questions.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #16

Thanks! If you've still got the updated wiring diagram, I'd appreciate getting my hands on it. I've learned that the electrical portion of the build has definitely been the most challenging for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
I know the feeling! I don't have a complete list but I end up re-doing the electrical layout slightly from the one that is posted on this thread. I posted some additional info about the final specs and stuff on my main build thread. Here is the link (I think it's around post 67).

I would suggest going with the Victron Lynx system as it made everything very clean and easy instead of multiple busbars as shown on the diagram posted. I thought I had shared my final diagram, but I may have forgotten to do that. Also as far as wire I went with all tinned marine grade wire from Pacer Group . When I was doing the electrical most suppliers didn't have any stock and if they did they were up charging a ridiculous amount (ie. Amazon). Their wire seemed like good quality at a decent value. I used a bunch of different gauge wires depending on the application. Far Out Ride has some great info along with a neat calculator to help determine the best size wire and fuses needed. The biggest suggestion I can make when it comes to figuring out how much wire to order would be to roughly tape out your wire runs and then add a lot of extra to your total! I had thought I had it all figured out exactly based on measuring and modeling my wiring system but when it came down to it I was short on almost every wire type. That lead to delays and added cost since the price of wire fluctuates and they didn't have free shipping.

Sorry, I don't have more specific info, but I hope some of this helps. Also, don't hesitate to ask any other questions.
TritonTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonTamer View Post
Thanks! If you've still got the updated wiring diagram, I'd appreciate getting my hands on it. I've learned that the electrical portion of the build has definitely been the most challenging for us.
Yeah, it was for sure one of the most intimidating steps for me during the build!
Below is our final electrical layout diagram. Hopefully, this helps you some with your build.

When I was looking for my file for this electrical layout I also stumbled on one of my wiring receipts. This doesn't include any of the larger cables and as I said I ended up needing more than this in the end but here is a rough number for refrence.
16AWG Tinned Copper - Black - 50FT
16AWG Tinned Copper - Red - 50FT

14AWG Tinned Copper - Black - 100FT
14AWG Tinned Copper - Red - 100FT

12AWG Tinned Copper - Black - 25FT
12AWG Tinned Copper - Red - 25FT

10AWG Tinned Copper - Black - 50FT
10AWG Tinned Copper - Red - 50FT

12/3 AC Boat Cable (WHT,GRN,BLK) - 30FT
Hope this helps!