Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #11

Re: Engine Batteries Draining, Current leak? Help Troublesho

Back again after work and an evening meeting - unable to work on van due to lots of rain and the lack of garage, so I've been studying and annotating wiring diagrams the last couple hours. I'll try posting and see how it goes.

Ramsey, et al - to answer your question, Fuse 22 of the Battery Junction Box (BJB) seems to go EVERYWHERE, if I'm interpreting the wiring diagrams correctly. Please let me know any thoughts and mis-steps I may have taken.

Attached Thumbnails
BJB.jpg   BJB-Key.jpg   CJB.jpg  

SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #12

Since I'm only able to post 3 .jpg's inline, here's Page 2

Now we can start to get into the meat of the issue...

Here is where the circuit goes all over, IF there is a splice where I believe there is one (top left). To the Wiper Motor, Brake Pedal Position Sensor, Multifunction Switch, Vehicle Security Module (N/A), Exterior Rear view mirror switch, Master Window Door Lock/Unlock, Passenger Window Door Lock Switch, Door Lock Switch for Rear Doors.

Additionally, It branches off to two other wiring diagram pages - Power08 and Power14

Attached Thumbnails
CJB-Key.jpg   Power05.jpg   Power07.jpg  

Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #13

Page 3 of many...

Here is Power08 - the first branch of the prior diagram (Power07)
The items on this circuit appear to include Driver Seat Control Switch (N/A - don't have), Auxiliary Relay Box 2 (?), Audio Unit, Instrument Cluster, Traction Control Switch, Vehicle Security Module, Another Multifunction Switch, and to 2 other diagrams (Power15 and Power22 and Power14, which I didn't label here as I just discovered it))...

Here is Power15, which goes to the Instrument Cluster (another one?), Headlights, and the DRL Module (N/A - Don't have)

And Here is Power22, which feeds through the dimmer switch (maybe?) and to Power23...

And on to Page 4
Attached Thumbnails
Power08.jpg   Power15.jpg   Power22.jpg  

Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #14

Page 4 (getting close...)

Here is Power14, which is fed from Power07, which powers the Trailer Brake Control Module, Multifunction Switch, and the High-Mounted Stoplight.
Also fed from recently discovered Power08 (Q, at the top of diagram, not highlighted or labeled), powering the Accessory Delay Relay (located in the BJB) and the Instrument Cluster (once again)

Finally, we have Power23, which is fed from Power22).
This apparently powers all of the marker and turn signal lamps, The Trailer Tow Relay(Parking Lamps) at the BJB

One more thing to add is that, while I had the infamous fuse22 in the BJB (drawing 1.7+/- amps), I pulled ALL of the remainder of the fuses under the hood and in the cab, one at a time, and noticed no significant change to the current draw of 1.7 amps. By significant, I mean nothing larger than around 20 milliamps (0.020 amps) on any one fuse.

Am I reading the circuit diagrams correctly?

Please let me know what I'm missing or where I went askew in my analysis and assumptions, or any suggestions that you all may have.

Thanks again - time to get horizontal...
Attached Thumbnails
Power14.jpg   Power23.jpg  

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #15

Re: Engine Batteries Draining, Current leak? Maybe A Solutio

Update 9/22/15

I "think" I've figured it out...

Since we last left my sad tale, I spent most of last weekend scratching my head and tearing into the dash of my van. I'm referring to two posts up, and the drawing I'm calling Power08, at the top of the post #13.
I'd pretty much isolated the current leak (1.7 +/- amps) from the 60 amp fuse 22, in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) under the hood.
Leaving that fuse in, and, getting under the dash on the Central Junction Box (CJB), I began pulling fuses and checking for any current draw on all those fuses. I got to Fuse 22 (what a coincidence!) and saw the same 1.7 amp draw. That fuse protects the Auxiliary Relay Box 2 (which has two relays within it), the Audio Head unit, the Instrument Cluster and the Traction Control Switch.

I pull the audio head unit (original 6-cd), unplug it, and see my current draw reduced to 0.650 amps!! - it appears that the head unit has been drawing around 1 amp, just sitting there - progress!!

I found the Auxiliary Relay Box 2 under (in) the dash, and pulled the two relays, one at a time - observed no change in the current draw.

Discovered I did not have a Traction Control Switch - the underdash connector was not connected.

Time to pull the Instrument Cluster (IC), which turns out is much less painful than I feared. There are two connectors on the very top of he IC. After pulling the connector on the driver side (C220B), the current draw dropped to only 35 milliamps! Woo-Hoo - looks like we found it!

I checked the other connector as well - no change and just to make certain, retraced my steps and came up with the same result. So, I need a new stereo head unit (already planned to replace) and Instrument Cluster. IC is $500 for a new one from Ford, and the dealer needs a week because they're short of electricians. He gives me a contact for a place in town that rebuilds speedos and Instrument Clusters, and can reset the mileage to whatever the existing is.

Speedometer Pro recommends purchasing a used IC off of a wreck for a minimal amount, (less than $100), plugging it in and seeing if the current draw drops to acceptable levels. If so, he can set it to the real mileage. He was hesitant to rebuild the existing - stated it (current draw issue) may come back after only a few months...

Off to a wrecking yard I've used in the past - for my 2008 E350 Diesel, there is (apparantly) only ONE available in the country-wide network of wrecking yards, and it's in Fargo, North Dakota! He puts me in contact with them, and they'll sell it to me (same part #) for $65 plus about $15 for shipping. It's on its way - finally I may have the solution!

I'll keep you posted - man what a relief and a load off...

Old 09-23-2015, 03:46 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Engine Batteries Draining, Current leak? Possible Soluti

Congrats not only on resolving your situation but the persistence shown in getting to this point---very impressive amount of work!

If you're ever in need of similar parts like your IC my go-to source is eBay Motors. Once upon a time I bought a brand new, never installed assembly plant IC for like $65. It was a part never even unpacked.

Also sounds like the factory radio developed an internal issue causing the current draw even though switched off. Something like that can take forever to discover---most of us think when a switch is off there's theoretically no power consumed.

Thanks for sharing------this might prove useful to others sometime in the future.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #17

Wow. I've been following along and when you started getting deep into the Ford wiring lists I wasn't sure you were going to make it back out alive (pretty sure I wouldn't have). But you did, and you found the problems. I'm impressed!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #18

Thanks for the compliments, gents - I guess I can be rather tenacious when I'm determined, much to the chagrin of my family, especially for the last two weekends.

Of course, I won't know it's really solved until the new IC is installed, so I'll fill you in when that happens, probably early next week, by the time I receive it and have a chance to test. I'm crossing my fingers and toes...

Quote:
...when you started getting deep into the Ford wiring lists I wasn't sure you were going to make it back out alive...
ROTFLMAO!

Quote:
If you're ever in need of similar parts like your IC my go-to source is eBay Motors
Of course!! I totally forgot about eBay! I just checked and there were used IC's available for 2003 through 2007 E350's for anywhere from $125 to $200 along with a repair service for $125 or so.

It is interesting about the radio - yep - one would not normally think if something is "off" that it could still suck some phantom power out of the batteries.

Now I get to shop and pick out a new Stereo (and speakers, while I'm at it )
Any suggestions?
Never mind, I'll search some of the many recent threads on that subject, or start a new one.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #19

Great job. You have taken a complex problem and distilled it down to small individual, easily understood pieces. This is how it's done. With good documentation and a methodical troubleshooting method, the most complex issues can be repaired by most folks. Congratulations.....
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #20

If the radio is pulling power when off, I would suggest checking the camper radio switch. It has been known to cause that problem when left in the on position.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote