Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #1

Fog Light Improvement

While waiting for the Hella 4000I Xenon Compact's to become available for an exchange of the 55 watt Hella Fog Lights with H1 bulbs that came with the Aluminess front bumper that are marginal at best I
exchanged for H3 100 watt bulbs and waited for the last six month's and nine thousand miles to post this information . The increase in wattage has had no ill effects with regard to excessive heat in the wiring or switch and the overall outcome has been a nice a pleasant improvement in usable light . I have run them on the road and off and never had any issue's
with oncoming traffic either , thought this might be of interest to those of you who have these
light's with no plans on changing .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #2

Re: Fog Light Improvement

Thanks for the info on using H3 bulbs in the Hella's Greggde. I've been on the fence for the upgrade and as soon as I get back from Baja I'll get a set. I use my Hella's all the time as running lights and I guess I'll still be OK with the oncoming vehicles from what you say??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

Scatter ,
I love driving at night and the upgrade is actually is a very nice step up and the beam pattern
is very useful on narrow trails , I like illuminated edges in close so that you are not over running the road or trail because of the distances that you are able to see with the HID Drivers and Pencil beams . Many times I have caught myself driving at distance while hitting
obstacles up close and personal . The one thing that I have not done that might make a difference is sitting parked for longer periods of time . this might cause some heat build up in
these lights with the increased wattage . hope all is well with you and yours .
Gregde
Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

Definitly going to try this. It's worth melting the crappy Hella's into slag if it doesn't work.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #5

Jage ,
The credit for this change goes to the boy's at www.expeditionexchange.com they suggested the swap when I mentioned that I felt that the 55 watt's were like the proverbial Titt's On A Boar ! They said that as long as you keep some air flow over them that they worked quite well
and they have .
Greggde
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

The Hella driving lights that come in the Aluminess bumpers are next to worthless, so I'm with Jage on not being concerned if I melt them down. Either it will be a good improvement or a good excuse to buy new lights.

I'm not familiar with bulbs. Will any H3 100watt bulb fit? Not sure if the H3 specifies what fits or not. A quick search revealed a pair of Hella bulbs (PN H71070181) for 17 bucks. That would be the cheapest upgrade I've ever done. Is that the right bulb choice?

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #7

Phil ,
Here is the information on the Hella Box

Hella H3
PK22s UV Free
12 Volt 100 Watt
1 Stock Piece
8GH 002 090-151
Not For Use In Europe
These should be available from any retailer that carries the Hella Lights , mine came from
Expedition exchange .
Greggde
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #8

Just from what you guys are saying, it sounds like we're talking two different animals here. Greggde said FOG lites and that's also what I have. Some of you other folks have said DRIVING lites. Big difference. I started out with the Hella driving lites and didn't think much of them. This is with the stock 55w bulbs. In my opinion, the driving lites still won't be great even with the 100w bulbs. I lost my driving lenses while driving on washboard and replaced 'em with fog lenses. I like the fogs much better for the reason Greggde mentioned. Most of my "problems" while driving have come from close up and to the side. I find the illumination of the fogs at the edges to do what I need.
I'd hate for you to spend $17 and still be unhappy Phil....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #9

Scatter -

I really don't know if I have fog or driving lights. It's whatever was there when I bought the van used. I'll have to look when I get home.

Thanks for watching out for my $'s!

Is it Pacifico time yet down there?

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

Is it Pacifico time? Is it Pacifico time??? Hey, I'm awake aren't I? Is it Pacifico time.... Sheeeezzzz
I try and save the guy seventeen bucks and I don't get no respect....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB