Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #11

Thanks Mike,
One or 2 more questions. There is a placard on the radiator housing that states the electrical system is NOT de-energized by disconnecting one battery. However, when I disconnect one or the other battery by removing the positive terminal, I cannot start the engine. Is there current to the computer system but not the starting circuit in this scenario?
If I install a third battery in parallel will it have any adverse effect on the charging system?
Chris

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #12

This is not my vn but I found this on the web. Interesting setup.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
Thanks Mike,
One or 2 more questions. There is a placard on the radiator housing that states the electrical system is NOT de-energized by disconnecting one battery. However, when I disconnect one or the other battery by removing the positive terminal, I cannot start the engine. Is there current to the computer system but not the starting circuit in this scenario?
If I install a third battery in parallel will it have any adverse effect on the charging system?
Chris
According to the wiring diagram, disconnecting the underhood battery de-energizes the whole system. Disconnecting the frame mounted battery does not.

When you say you cannot start the engine, does it turn at all? Do the dash lights come on? Do the lights work? It should work normally when the frame mounted battery is taken off.

While the aux battery is in the power circuit when the key is on, it is out of the circuit when the key is off. And if it is taken out of the van, the van should run the same as a van without the aux battery.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #14

Mike,
With the aux battery disconnected there is no power anywhere. No lights no starter no accessories. Same with the main battery.
From what you are telling me it appears the aux battery is strictly for extra cranking amps???? If not, is there a position on the ignition that allows use of the aux battery to power the accessory ports?
Is the wireing diagram you have available on line or do I need to buy a complete shop manual.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #15

I understand the trailer wiring harness is powered from the axillary battery when the key is turned to aux.

I learned this from Ford Truck Enthusiasts van body forum from a guy who was quite knowledgeable. I have not been able to confirm it since.

I will be at Ford today. I'll see what I can find out once and for all this E-Series battery wiring.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #16

Mike I just re-read all prior posts and you already answered my question about the ignition key position. I'm going to try this and measure current at the accessory plugs with the key in the on/aux position. If you are correct then the aux battery should be "isolated" from the main battery but there should be power to the accessory outlets and the trailer outlet provide by the aux battery and not the main..

The tech at the battery shop I go to crawled under the van and disconnected the aux. battery and then had me try to start the van. No juice to the ignition system!!!! The main battery was still connected. That's why I'm confused by your info.

I have just installed a 3rd battery aft of the aux. and plan to wire it only to the solar panel with a dedicated line to the refer. I will run a heavy guage connection from the positive post on the new deep cycle to the positive post on the aux battery but it will have a simple on/off switch in between. My idea is to have a completely isolated deep cycle battery for the house with the option to connect it to the other 2 batteries via the on/ off switch. No chance for an electronic switch/isolator failure.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #17

Sorry, I've been out camping for a week.

Is it possible that Quadvan did something when they added the 4wd?

Ok, a better question -

- will you be at the Nor Cal SMB get together on Sat the 25th? Maybe we can look at your van and come up with some ideas. I'll bring my meter.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #18

Re: Ford Dual Battery Setup

Does anyone have the part number for the battery trays for the dual battery setup? Also, is the tray the same if you wanted to add two batteries to the frame rail on a V10?

Thanks,
Mark
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutmark

Does anyone have the part number for the battery trays for the dual battery setup? Also, is the tray the same if you wanted to add two batteries to the frame rail on a V10?

Thanks,
Mark
If you get the VIN from someone with dual boxes, the dealer can look up the parts.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
If you get the VIN from someone with dual boxes, the dealer can look up the parts.
Heck, I could probably get the dealer to lookup the number without the VIN but I am trying to avoid the dealer. Found some good sources for Ford Parts on-line and think I found the correct item, the pricing was about right ($130ish list price sold for $92.50) but am hoping to get the actual part number to verify.

Mark
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote