Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Need to replace my SMB vehicle batteries. According to my manual I need a group 65 for engine compartment and a group 65DC for the auxillary. Having a hard time finding a DC in that size group. Does it really have to be a DC? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.
Look for a group 31 for your deep cell/coach battery. It's a common size in deep cells. 65 is very similar in regular lead acid/chassis batteries.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...oup-sizes.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #82

I have any 05 V10, no aux battery. I purchased a used ford battery box and will mount to the side of the frame as the house battery. I'd like to just wire in a manual switch between the two Positive leads of the van battery and house battery. Is it necessary to bring the ground of the house battery up to the van battery too? Or is it sufficient to ground it to the frame where it will be mounted? Dumb question but just making sure it's done right.
ct77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #83

If your frame negative connection is really good and you are not planning to draw from the house battery for heavy loads like a winch, you should be fine.

I ran my house battery positive cable from the positive starter terminal to a Blue Sea manual switch. I also incorporated a circuit breaker in line. Make sure to properly size your battery cables.

Some of the more electrical guru members can provide details.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
If your frame negative connection is really good and you are not planning to draw from the house battery for heavy loads like a winch, you should be fine.

I ran my house battery positive cable from the positive starter terminal to a Blue Sea manual switch. I also incorporated a circuit breaker in line. Make sure to properly size your battery cables.

Some of the more electrical guru members can provide details.
Thanks 1der! I'm planning a similar set up as yours to keep it simple. Going to the starter would be a couple feet shorter of a run, good idea. That way will still give a charge to the house battery while driving correct? The house battery will power led lights, inverter, water pump, small compressor, 12v DVD/TV and that's about it
ct77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan421 View Post
Awesome. How long are you able to go without recharging battery? Just running a basic inverter off the 1 plug?

Thank for the info.
I really cant answer your question since the battery on my frame is shot and doesn't hold much juice. A new Group 65 seems to be able to produce about 75 ah, so at least that gives you a number to go off of. Also, if you have a factory battery box on the frame, the alternator will charge that battery when the van is running.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #86

Curious if I can disconnect the AUX battery and remove it (and the mounting bracket) easily. Has anyone attempted this? I am planning on keeping my house batteries inside and Ford reports that my AUX battery is shot. I don't honestly see much use for it anyway, although if it's a PITA to remove from the system I may just throw a new battery in it and forget it's there for a few years.
kingnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnever View Post
Curious if I can disconnect the AUX battery and remove it (and the mounting bracket) easily. Has anyone attempted this? I am planning on keeping my house batteries inside and Ford reports that my AUX battery is shot. I don't honestly see much use for it anyway, although if it's a PITA to remove from the system I may just throw a new battery in it and forget it's there for a few years.
Need more info. Is your van a Sportsmobile? A diesel? What runs off the auxiliary battery?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #88

Apologies for the lack of detail: 2011 V8 gasser with the Ford factory AUX battery option (on the build sheet). From this thread it looks like the AUX battery runs a circuit that the trailer wiring is hooked to as well a potentially the 12v power points in the cab, but I could be wrong about that last bit. Not a SMB.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnever View Post
You could remove it without any consequences. It's kind of a PITA only because you're at a weird angle trying to get leverage to hold the battery up while unbolting it. A floor jack helps. Not sure if you plan on removing the wiring harness that goes with it if you take it out but I really don't see a reason to remove any part of it if you don't care that it's there. No sense in putting a new battery in it either if you don't get any use out of it.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #90

Thanks! That's great to know. I did have a mind to just totally leave it be - but wouldn't keeping a battery in there that isn't holding a charge put additional load on the alternator? I'm pretty thick when it comes to electrical so that might be a terribly dumb question.