Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

Ford E350 2006 Alternator Troubles?

Hi all,

We have a 2006 ford econoline e350 with a dual battery system (starter battery and AGM house battery) both being charged from our alternator. Lately, we've been having trouble with the electrical system. The starter battery doesn't stay charged, the van won't crank intermittently, etc. We tested the alternator and the output is a little weak (12.6 or 13 v). We are looking at either replacing the alternator with the factory alternator or swapping it out for a higher amperage alternator. However, finding a replacement has been very tricky (it's a 6G series with a D-plug). Anybody have advice on what we should do?

We have called all shops in our area, and no one seems to have any idea on where to find a replacement, or even what we are talking about. Also looking for TRUSTED mechanic recs nationwide.

Thanks for your help!

DeeLavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #2

Garage
Strange you are having a hard time finding an alternator. A number of people have replaced. Did you search for “alternator”.

Might try this thread for mechanics:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ith-12887.html
Old 05-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Hey marret,

Yes I tried searching. For some reason, the Ford years 2004-2006 are trickier to find according to several mechanics we spoke to. It's hard to find a D plug that is a 6G series at a higher amperage.
DeeLavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Check out the google map showing reliable mechanic recommendations from the forum.
As for the alternator, I’d think if you call up with your vehicle info or go into a parts store they would have what you need, or pull it and bring it in, they will be able to match it. Yes, your output seems low, check your battery to see if it’s holding charge as well, I believe you have 2 starting batteries on the 6.0 and a single house battery, probably a big 4D, both mounted up under the van. If you haven’t changed either of them and they are the original batteries, they might need to be replaced.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...6669497292&z=8
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #5

You might consider finding a highly reputable alternator rebuilder in your area (or send out) and have yours rebuilt to the specs you want.

Downside is downtime.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #6

Garage
I know this reply may be a little toxic for some, but I have a Ford Dealer nearby that assigns the “veteran” mechanic to anything I have done with them (a relationship I have with the Service manager) - most of my mechanical is done at this dealer simply in case I have an issue I can stop off at any other Ford Dealer to have them troubleshoot or rectify. It HAS come in handy on several occasions (never had a Dealer turn me down because the work was performed at another location).
Dealer should be able to hook you up with a high output alternator - and/or check your battery status.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

I had issues with my stock ford alt not putting out enough power at low speed or idle.
I bought a 200amp from these guys and 12,000 miles later still very happy with it.

Nations Starter & High Amp Alternator- Best Quality Starter & Alternator Supply!
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #8

Recently added a 75a house battery charger and a 100a stereo amplifier to my van. Went with a 320a alternator from these guys, so far so good. They had lower amperage options as well. Alternator had a generic three pin connector built in and came with a plug and play pig tail.

https://phoenix-alternator.com

My van is an 06 with the 5.4 for reference.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Call Ed at FicmRepair.com. He'll know what you need and can hook you up with a dual alternator or a high output one from DCpower, Leece Neville, or Mean Green. https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...=cat/cat81.htm

If you've been running a bad alternator for a while you might want to make sure your ficm is in good shape as well.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Call Ed at FicmRepair.com. He'll know what you need and can hook you up with a dual alternator or a high output one from DCpower, Leece Neville, or Mean Green. https://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm...=cat/cat81.htm

If you've been running a bad alternator for a while you might want to make sure your ficm is in good shape as well.
I second this did a DC power 180 amp thru them after my Nations Alternator crapped out on me after 1 yr of use and they would stand behind there product. Haven't had any issues in 3 years if memory serves me correct.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, electrical system, mechanic