Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Ford TPMS, 5th Tire?

Is it possible to have a 2008 Ford tire pressure monitoring sensor installed in one's spare tire or will this cause the system's little brain to go all woooooozzzzzy? Inquiring minds want to know

drewivancic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

Re: Ford TPMS, 5th Tire?

I think it must have a pretty small brain. Mine has only worked right a few times since I bought the van. I am only running 55psi based on my vans weight, so maybe that's not enough. I have gone through the reset process several times and still have the error light showing on the dash. My Ford service writer suggested putting a piece of black tape over the light. If I could find it under the dash, I would just pull the plug. I haven't tried putting a sensor in the spare.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #3

Hey Skywagon, why don't you tell him how you solved the problem...

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

OK-
There I was driving down the road, and the ----ing TPM made it's nasty little sound for about the millionth time, so I just reached up and grabbed it and ripped it out of the overhead and threw the ----ing piece of ---- out the window.... Blissful silence ensued and has been ensudeing ever since. Why anyone would put up with that amazingly awful useless piece of mandated ---- is forever beyond me. That is why THEY make tire pressure gauges!!!!!!
Bill
Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

I like that solution. At least the Ford TPMS in my 2008 van is silent. It just has that annoying light on the dash like a "service engine soon" light. The tire guage seems to be the most reliable answer and I even have an infrared temp sensor that I could use to check the tires, but I haven't used it for that and don't really know what would be hot enough to worry about.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #6

The tire manufactures told me that if you can't hold your hand on the sidewall, it's too hot. Good way of checking when you air down.
Don't you just hate the super scientific solutions....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #7

What do those of us who aren't complete weenie hut jr. weenies do?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #8

Ford TPMS is set for 80 PSI rear, 55 front. THat is why the light is on.

No, a 5th tire cannot be added. Besides, its like $5 for an air gauge. Spare doesn't need checking too often.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the response carringb. Since my original post I found a Ford service manager who appeared to know more than I do. He said you could put the sensor in the spare tire and it wouldn't confuse the TPMS. I believe you are correct in saying that the TPMS would not monitor the spare. I assume that if you had 80 lb. in the spare and did put it on the rear of the truck the TPMS would be happy. If the spare with 80 lb. were put on the front of the truck, I'm not sure how the TPMS would react. I don't know if the TPMS senses high pressure, but the fix would be simple enough.

Drew
drewivancic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #10

I am now running on my spare and had to buy a new tire. (I need another 4X4 class on wheel placement-I messed up 2 tires-or maybe the Toyo tires are not so good after all)

The tire light would not go out till I switched wheels and got the spare wheel off the road and back on as a spare. Why did I buy that expensive wheel just for a spare tire anyway when I can never run the wheel unless I want to look at that tire light!!!!!!! No rotating 5 tires.(I do not want to now since my spare has a boot in it)

The light did alert me as the fact that I had a slow leak, though, so I may not want to use Skywagon's method, yet, to get rid of the light.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote