Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #1

Garage
Fuse? for Pop Top ceiling lights

Looking to identify the location of the penthouse ceiling light fuse...

I finally got around to replacing the florescent ceiling light affixed to the middle of the pop-top. Put a Thin-Lite dist-led626p (dimmable LED version) which vandiesel graciously identified for me...perfect fit, even the screw holes lined up.
In the process I (even after taking precautions) accidently managed to short the two wires together while attempting to remove the crimp sleeve...Ya, I know - Just stupid
So now neither this ceiling light and the rear light (mounted just above the windows on the back doors) work. Fortunately they seem to be the only two items that no longer function. No doubt a fuse has been blown.
Van is a 2006 SMW build: I'm hoping someone here may know where this fuse might be located? It's not under the goucho (that would have been too easy!). I do however have a spaghetti scenario of wires & fuses mounted under the steering column, so many that you can hardly even get to the fuse panel located in the back. Before I go exploring through that mess I was hoping someone may be able to narrow down my search. Also have to say, I cant believe SM would have wired just these two light together without involving anything else - but currently cant find any other item(s) that will not operate.
If it makes any difference, the overhead courtesy lights above the cab still operate, as do all the dash lights.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #2

I think they are under the cover above the front latch’s. You have to take a couple screws out to remove the upholstery cover and the fuse is in the corner.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

Garage
Bellpilot. I do not see anything along those lines (no panel & no screws), BUT I do have something that looks like a small hatch (6" x 8") being held closed by a couple screws - it sits a little farther back on the drivers side, and centered with the side of the first large covered board which the cross bars pivot in - That (hopefully) should be it.
I'll have to inspect that on Monday - Thank you so much!
Old 05-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

It is the panel that lays across the top of the loops that the latches hook on to. The panel goes all the way across that has fabric where the frame of the penthouse is bolted to the top of the van. If I was not 4 hrs away from my SMB I would send you a pic.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #5

Rainy morning in CO...
For standard SMB top, Bellpilot is correct and I found mine with the same issue of blowing fuse while replacing fluorescents with LEDs. Here is the link that helped me.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ion-16740.html
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

Garage
Bellpilot - your last description sealed the location for me. Thanks again!

Soloalpinist - Link you supplied is great (even copied the electrical diagram pictured to my album). I'm relieved to see the lights are wired with a fuse separate from all other electric options, I had concern I hadn't YET uncovered something else that may be affected by this. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

Garage
I wonder where SMB buried that fuse for GMC/Chevy.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #8

Your welcome Twoxentrix, glad I could help.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #9

As an aside from the lighting issues with penthouse - does anybody know where the penthouse top motor is located ? How many volts to run it ? Where to buy a replacement motor other than SMB West or North ? Mine is OK - I just want to be prepared - with my 2002 vintage E350 !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
As an aside from the lighting issues with penthouse - does anybody know where the penthouse top motor is located ? How many volts to run it ? Where to buy a replacement motor other than SMB West or North ? Mine is OK - I just want to be prepared - with my 2002 vintage E350 !

Two motors, mounted to rear crossbeam on left and right. Search electric top and you will likely find pics...Remove carpet/covering at rear of crossbars and you can see motor ram....Remove rear ceiling cover exposes both 12v motors. I posted the specs for the linak LA31-U0(5?) motor. Used for hospital beds, etc..
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote