Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #1

Generator Problems

I am a new owner of 1999 Sportsmobile. I got it home yesterday and stated going through all the systems. Every thing seems to work except the generator. Its an Onan 2.8. Seems as though when I start the generator the power switch does accept the generator power provided. I know that the power switch unit and the rest of the AC part of the sportsmobile works fine. I know this because I introduced 110 AC at the power switch and tested it through the shore power and generator connections. It appears that the AC that is coming from the generator is no good although it reads ok with my voltmeter.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

pfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

Re: Generator Problems

I'm assuming the power switch you're referring to is the 30amp Automatic Transfer Switch. These Transfer Switches do have a small circuit board that functions as a time delay to allow the generator to get up to speed before any load is applied to it. It is probably a Todd Engineering Transfer Switch that you should be able to get a replacement circuit board for. If memory serves me correctly, there may be a small switch or potentiometer on th ecircuit board that can be set to by-pass the timer function.

Older model transfer switches did not have the circuit board and rarely failed.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

I am pretty sure the transfer switch is operating correctly. Here is how I tested it:

The power switching box has 1 set of lugs (hot and neutral) for shore power and 1 set of lugs for generator power. I took a 110 power cord and crimped on some ends so I could wire in my power and mimmic shore power and generator power. So I first un-did the shore power connections at the power switching box and connected my fabricated power cord and then plugged it in to my house 110v. Everything worked just fine. Microwave, battery charger, all the 110 outlets, everything worked. Then I removed the power cord and connected it to the generator input at the power switching box. It took about 30 seconds and the power switching box switched and everything worked as well.

So, the power switching box is good, my generator is not giving me good stuff coming in to make the power switching box work properly. It measures OK 123 VAC but it might be dirty, I don't have an occiliscope to check it.

You are right, it is a Todd Engineering 30 amp switching box. I tried to get a hold of Todd Engineering because I have a lifetime warranty certificate for the box. 1-800-HEY-TODD does not work anymore and from other posts on the web, they are out of business. Unless someone can tell me how to get a hold of them, I guess I am on my own.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

I found the problem. There is a junction box coming out of the generator. In it are wires crimp-connected except the neutral. It had a wire nut on it and it had come off. Refastened and it works fine. I removed the wire nut and did a crimp-connection.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #5

Good job tracking down the problem! I hope you can start enjoying your SMB now!

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote