Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #21

I do pretty much what Greg In Austin does, with solar too, and I have one 4D battery. Never have a problem. Even running the fridge and furnace all night. Dual batteries will give you a cushion and if you're using high wattage items like Jage's toaster it's probably a good idea. With solar, or driving every other day, and just using lights, furnace and fridge, it's not needed.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
Ok. that is incredible. I think I need to go this route. Solar is a must. I better check with SMB to find out how much it costs installed. Do you think 2 4D batteries are necessary? I have 1 that I need to replace ASAP. I have the fridge, and lights and occasionally the furnace during winter.

Joe
Joe like I posted I had only one 4-D for a few years with no problem but it is quite interresting how much cold weather affects the batteries storage. I can't say for sure (haven't done too many tests) but it seems that my twin 4-Ds at 20 degrees preform like or slightly better than a single at 40 degrees. During mild weather the twin batteries help quite a bit. I can even run the microwave for a short period W/O the engine running. But even one 4-D should be OK especially if you change your lights to LED. My heaters are no problem (espar) but running the lights commonally took a toll if left on for lenghty times. I'm in the process of having a rear cargo rack made that will possibly hold a 120W panel which will be removable. The panel will be the last item to install and at about 1000 bucks it might be a while before I make that plunge.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #23

just curious, but if battery power is a potential problem, why isnt water also an issue. where do you refill and drain the water tanks?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I know this is off topic. But I keep 2 five gal tanks that I fill when I can.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #25

Hey, Joanna, we need an update! How has life without shore power been working out?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #26

Sorry, guys, I've been AWOL.

Um, I think it's been OK. My use is certainly minor compared to McBeast; I have no TV or electronics extraordinaire, only the radio, fridge, lights and rarely used microwave. The solar read out is never lower than 12-ish, and often up to 14.
I live and park about 50 yards from the beach, the only trees are an occasional palm and as my daily driver, use is between 5 miles and 100 miles (Brownsville and Harlingen round trip). So I think you have all been correct, I can go on like this indefinitely.

NOW, here's a weird twist: none of my outlets work, even when I'm on shore power. I discovered this a couple of weeks ago during a trip, I bought a spot in RV parks for several evenings and brought my computer to do some letter writing. Nothing. No juice from any of the outlets. I was reduced to (gasp!) pen and paper.

Why is nothing simple?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #27

I'm going with GFI tripped. The one GFI would interrupt all your outlets in any circumstance.

But start a new thread if that's not it.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #28

Thanks, Jage, I'll go out tomorrow and check it out.
Sign me: crossing my fingers for an easy fix.
Joanna