Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #1

Goal Zero Yeti 1500X and 12V alternator charging

Hello there !
(First project, first RV, first post here )
I am thinking - for my first project - about investing in a Yeti 1500X battery and, for the moment, charge it with the van alternator and the 12V cable. (I just want to keep power to a Dometic powered cooler + small stuff to charge like cellphones or laptop)
I found this solution more easier for me, than building my own system and maybe later, I planned to add solar panels.
I red and saw reviews that show problems with the 12V charger, and the solar panels too.
Do anybody has this kind of experience or feedback here ?
Videos I saw are from last summer - I assume that the company may fix this issues with either last firmware or last builds ?
Thanks!

ecappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

I have a GS Yeti 1250 and aside from a few really small things I love it! Granted I have 200w of solar, but I've never really seen it lose more than 20% of its charge over my trips.

Its a great all in one solution.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
I have a GS Yeti 1250 and aside from a few really small things I love it! Granted I have 200w of solar, but I've never really seen it lose more than 20% of its charge over my trips.

Its a great all in one solution.
Thanks for feedback!
Meanwhile, Goal Zero support gave me a feedback too :
Code:
The Yeti 1500X is a very reliable unit. It did originally come with some charging issues upon release, but has since been fixed. I would not expect there to be a problem when using it with your 12V devices.
Regards,
What I appreciate is that they recognize the fact they had problems.

My credit card will melt... :/
Old 03-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

Not promoting although I did purchase and am patiently waiting... The Elechive has pretty amazing specs if it all comes through as planned. I believe the price is also better. https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/elechive
If it all comes true in April the Elechive is smaller and lighter than the Yeti but boasts 2400WH vs the Yeti at 1500 for less money. Sounds too good to be true but I have been following closely and so far so good but until it is in my hands and tested....
treadco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #5

Mmmmmm.... I use to be a kind of 'early adapter geek'...
But I don't know if I would let into such new 'hands' my summer canada crossing...
Old 03-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

My larger issue with these new Indiegogo type items is they always miss their dates...even if (in rare cases) they actually do everything promised at the time they take your $'s. I did like this comparison. https://poweredportablesolar.com/the...nked-reviewed/ but I think the site sells the Titan and so may be tilted toward it. Good details though if in the market. Hope it helps.
treadco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #7

Yep.... My wife just said me that : 'buy whatever you want, but it has to be here BEFORE we leave this summer'
Old 03-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #8

On there website it shows the 12 volt cable to use its an extra 39 dollars. According to the specs it charges at a max of 10 amps. They even sell a AC wall charger 600 watts (199 dollars) that will charge the unit in 3 hours.
Its a 140ah lithium batterypack that is serious battery capacity, no matter what it will take awhile to fully charge.

The charging inputs (from the specs) are impressive, it does look like they fix the slow charging problems of the previous yetis.
Low power charging port (input): 14-50V, up to 10A (150W max)
High Power charging port (input): 14-50V, up to 50A (600W max)

Later when you decide to add a solar panel I recommend get something big like a 365 watt panel at minimun to feed that powerpack, it will easily keep it full. I'm getting up to 23 amps of charge power from the 365 watt panel I got. The panel is in the 40 volt range so its within specs of the yeti. I would want max performance for a powerpack that is capable of fast charging.
jonyjoe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice. Now it is my next step... Solar panels....
I am looking for something flexible, do you have a model to suggest ?
Old 03-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #10

Garage
Use the Search tool on here and type in “solar suitcase panel”, couple informative threads that provide a lot of good info.