Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

Re: Going Solar

Consider whether you want them on top. More weight up there is bad in general. From a comfort standpoint, being able to park in the shade and put the panel out in the sun would be much better. Also, you can get better angles output with adjustments through the day.

I've seen a good write up on this in the pop up RV forum.

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzboy
Thanks for all the information guys that is a great deal of help. I do have one more ? to add. Is there always a possibility of frying your batteries do to the fact that you are over charging them, or is this preventable with getting some sort of instrumentation from Blue Sky?

Also in regards to battery storage, any additional input as far as storage goes. Mine is a large 4D battery bolted to the underside as you get into the side door of the van. (is that the gaucho?) Also can I store two batteries wired in series or parallel? If not any ideas of where else I can store them.

Okay I lied one more question. Anybody know any experts in wiring this mess up or is it fairly simple, I've rewired VW's and ski boat is it much more difficult than that? Preferably in So. Cal.
1) all the controlers keep the frying to a minimum

2) my 4d is slung underneath and i just had Fresno install two group 27 under the Gaucho Bed
(the gaucho is the name for the bench seat running along the wall in the rig)
were installed in two seal battery boxes vented to the outside
(we will see if they correct the install which was done poorly)

3) most folks will tell you that solar is simple as pie
myself, i want an expert to do it
I know of one here in South Orange County and another in Spring Valley

(i got blue sky to diagram my wiring, it was counter to what i had read and counter to what Fresno did, now i have to re-wire and correct it)
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #13

Our use is different than some others. We have the larger 12V refrig in our SMB. We use a little lighting, and rarely a portable TV (to watch a DVD) and not much else in terms of electrical use. We have two Group 27 batteries and when they were new we could go 3 days on a charge. Since we wanted to dry camp longer we put a single 125W solar panel on the roof, and we have not run out of power since.

If you have some electrical experience, the solar is not difficult to install. The worst part is getting the wiring through the roof into the interior without causing any leaks. That is covered in another thread on this site. The most current we've ever gotten from our panel is about 9 amps, so you can use 12-14ga wire to run it. Stick with Black for ground and red for +12v. Straightforward.

No advice for mounting the panel.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

I'm currently in the process of having my 3 Solara panels removed, a rack added and a single 130 watt panel installed. I might add a second panel but the failing Solara panels are still putting out about 5 Amps and like Mike said he is fine with 9 amps. I think I will be also but if you sit in overcast skies or shadows w/o running the vehicle, a second panel might be a consideration. I usually do not sit in camp and off road daily. The alternator picks up most of the charge and the panels top off the batteries to peak voltage. Solar helps longevity of the batteries and to do this you don't need much to top them off. Even with 5 or 6 amps, in full sun I'm up to full charge by noon (usually by 10AM). I had a single 4-D battery which worked OK but added a second. For me twin batteries work well but it really depends on your nightly usage and if there is a failure you're out big bucks with two 4-D's.

What I don't like are green pine cones dropped by squirrels. And what about hail? I'm thinking of designing the panels to be able to add a cover (maybe Lexan) that can be slid over to protect them. I could keep the Lexan under the bed when not needed. I hate to park under trees but sometimes it's not possible to be in the clear and I like shade. Just an acorn hitting the roof freaks me out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #15

So let me ask a question.....I have a Blue Sky controler & it says that it supports 12V/25amp. This means I can run as many panels as I want as long as I stay in the 12v series & don't go above the 25amps then I'm good?
Thanks Woot........
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOT
So let me ask a question.....I have a Blue Sky controler & it says that it supports 12V/25amp. This means I can run as many panels as I want as long as I stay in the 12v series & don't go above the 25amps then I'm good?
Thanks Woot........
i would call Blue Sky and get the correct answer

might save you some headaches,,,,,,,,,,
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Site Team

I emailed Blue Sky last week concerning controller specs.
This is the address of the person who answered my question.

Eric Clampit
Engineering Technician
eric@blueskyenergyinc.com
(760)597-1642ext105

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #18

Thanks for the information.....Will Do
Woot
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #19

Dear lazyboy, Did you even end up with the solar panels on Thule load bars. If so, I would really like to know the details as I am considering the same way to mount two or three panels.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote