Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Going through the firewall.

Hey all,

I am preparing to wire up my auxiliary lights in the front and was wondering what the best way to pass the wires through the firewall to put in the dash switch is????

Please help!

Cam

amockalypsenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Find somewhere convenient to drill a hole of the correct size to allow insertion of a rubber grommet. The grommet ID will depend on the size wire or wires you're using, the actual hole size dictated by the selected grommet.

Debur the drilled hole both sides then be sure to coat the bare steel with some sort of rust inhibiting paint etc.

I've done this on the driver's side, pulling the cardboard-like material away from the firewall first before drilling holes. Once the grommet is installed and wires pulled that material is put back in place somewhat protecting the added wiring from feet on the pedals possibly contacting or disrupting it.

I did this on the driver's side since that's really the only somewhat clear space both inside the cabin and on the engine bay side. Passenger's side houses the heater & A/C components.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Usually there's a rubber boot around things like the steering column shaft you can poke through and then just seal it back up with silicone. I have a few things going through there, can't remember where I routed my fog and drive lights, but I know I was able to find a spot without drilling, I'll have to take a look.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Wait for night time, shine a strong light in both foot well then look in the engine bay if light pokes through. That's how I found mine and saved me from drilling extra holes (as they can be blocked by components but still usable).

David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

If this is a ford van there are already 2 unused wires run though the firewall exactly for this reason. If that's all you need, then search upfitter econoline. There is a pdf out there showing wire locations, and also extra positive lines to use (constant power & ignition power). All 4 are up by the power steering reservoir, and 2 of them than can be used for anything end up by the brake controller wiring the other side of the firewall.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

Here is a link to the upfitter switches at least for a 2009. Prolly the same for all years.

Upfitter Switches
Old 07-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #7

Thank you all very much!
amockalypsenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Here is a link to the upfitter switches at least for a 2009. Prolly the same for all years.

Upfitter Switches

Nice!......thanks!
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

The step of the footwell has some drain grommets that are perfect for pocking holes in and running wires through.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote