Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

Good Flat Panel Mount that holds up to SMB Life?

Hey again:

Narrowed down my TV choice to a 19" Samsung. Now, on to the mount. I've looked at all the Sanus mounts and I'm leaning towards the VM400. I think it has a 80 pound limit. Of course, 80 pounds is not 80 pounds when you are banging up and down the road. TV is clearly way below 80 pounds. Any thoughts? Perhaps you've had good or bad luck with a mount in your SMB? Hate to drop a fair amount of $ on a mount that fails. Also, do you guys remove the mount/TV when you are getting serious (off-road)? Seems like that would be the only way to insure prized electronics don't end up dashed upon the floor or banged up against a cabinet. Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #2

Hi,
In a previous post (maybe your last post) a few of us recommend the RAM mounts. It is very sturdy and is the arm type. Not sure if they make the kind that go directly on a wall.
I have had no problems going down washboard for long strethces.

I bought it from their distributor in Arizona. I sketched what I wanted and they configured one to my spec. It was maybe a hundred to hundred fifty bucks.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #3

I had a RAM mount in my landcruiser for a different type of app. It didn't hold up so well. Lots of folks use them on motorcycles for GPS, etc, and they work great for that. I'll check them out though. Didn't think about them for bigger items. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Second on the RAM Mounts.. the large Ram mounts. It's held up great counting 2 years; 4x4 certified for me. Just make sure it's tightened well when your mobile.

I ordered from the past from GPSCITY.COM

I have two 22inch HD Monitors and they are flush mounted near the walls with Ram Mounts. I do make sure the monitors have a base; so it's ram mounted and the base sitting on the Sporto Cabinet(s)..with a extra, extra mouse pad layer as a mini shock absorber..

I also use the RAM mounts for the fantastic Endless Breeze Fans mounted strategically next to the windows to create a flow in and out from one side of the van to the other..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

I checked their site and e-mailed them. We have RAM mounts for lap tops in our SO's patrol cars and those work well. I've been measuring this and that and its gonna be very difficult to fit the planned 19" TV where I want it and be able to move it well out of the way when I need to. Suppose I could remove the pantry drawer and fab up a new one specifically for electronics. TV would have to store vertically and be able to move outward and rotate 180 when opened to use (and swivel so those on the bench seat can see). Samsung makes a nice small DVD player that I believe can mount vertically (I assume this as it has picture frame style mounting holes underneath). I dunno. Wife is all up in my grill because I'm spending too much time trying to get the Sporty in tip-top. Maybe I should just take up reading....

Naaaah.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
IIRC, the Badgers mounted a RAM mount directly to their steel rail and over their galley cabinet. It held a decent-sized monitor, and swung around and back out of the way. I don't remember reading about it breaking during their years-long trekking.

http://s94153639.onlinehome.us/sportsmo ... erior.html

(picture at top shows it rotated back for travel, and the other picture about 80% of the way down shows it out).

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote