Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

HAM/Cb antennae mounting

Looking for ideas on mounting ham/cb radio antennae on my Ford van without using magnet mounts. A picture of your installation would be helpful.

Thanks!

94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: HAM/Cb antennae mounting

Mine is a magnet mount. I have never had any problems with it and I have been over some very rough roads at fast speed. I've also driven through brush and trees and have never knocked it off, although it has wobbled a few times. Just FYI in case that is your concern about a magnet mount. In the picture below you can see the magnet mount on top in the front. I have a CB antenna mounted into the frame on the back next to my rear left cargo door. I also have a small magnet cell phone extender antenna next to the ham radio antenna. You have to look very close in the picture to see it. It is to the right of the satellite radio antenna.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

I assume you are talking about VHF/UHF ham? It's not a great pic but below is a half wave dual band using a nmo mount centered on what is left of the metal top. Even a short quarter wave works okay up there. There is enough ground plane. The half wave has a hinge (for trees) but it's a pain to crawl up and reach it.

I used a quarter wave on a fender mount for awhile. It worked okay except for being a brush magnet. Verify that your hood is metal (some are fiberglass). Pick your poison, side brush or low trees? Got both? Oh well.

The few times I used a CB I had a mag mount. If you do use mag mounts make sure the surface is absolute clean. Dust under the magnet will work like sandpaper.

Watch out for CB whips mounted on the roof if you have a solar panel. DaveB learned that expensive lesson.

More info in this tread
viewtopic.php?p=69694#p69694

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking for others ideas for the van so appreciate it. I have nmo mount on rear door of my rover and also mag mounts just in case I move vehicles. I've knocked off magnet mounts quit a few times out wheeling so trying to identify alternate mounting as I try to plan my van build.

Yes, UHF/VHF.
94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I used a trunk mount on the lip of the top of the passenger door. It did require the thin cable to sit behind the seal.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

Don't have a picture handy, but I used a stud mount right next to where the AM antenna mounted near the hood. I removed the AM antenna. I can use a CB, 2 meter, or quarter wave dual in the stud mount. Finding FM antennas for stud mounting wasn't as easy as I expected, but they're out there. It's not too tough to find a way to route the coax into the cab from there; I went sort of out of the engine bay and around through the door opening at the top. I had some battery cabling I wanted to avoid and so going down through the firewall wasn't as good an option.

I also have an Elk antenna which I can mount with a piece of PVC to a post on the bumper. It's a log periodic, most often used hand-held, but easily mounted and dismounted since you don't have to worry about grounding, etc. Very directional though. Obviously not useful when driving unless the passenger want to hold it out the window....
Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Garage

01E350AZ

I have 2 dual band antenna's mounted on the front fender's. I made the mounts out of 1/8" stainless steel. They bolt to the fender's using one of the fender bolts and 2 #10 sheet metal screws. The mounts are very strong. Here are a couple of pictures.
Cheers
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

Nice work! Is the mounting connector UHF or NMO? It looks like UHF on my tiny phone screen. I wonder if NMO could be made to work?

I've seen fender mounts like these before, but they were also custom fabricated. Does anyone know of a place to buy mounts like these?
bbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdd
Nice work! Is the mounting connector UHF or NMO? It looks like UHF on my tiny phone screen. I wonder if NMO could be made to work?
The mount is UHF but can be made either way. the base is 2", lots of room for UHF or NMO.

Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

I have my CB antenna mounted on the driver's side fender channel, between the hood and the fender. (I think Jage has it there, too.) Works well, although the antenna isn't up as high as it would be on the roof (unless you get a long antenna). I have a 3'-4' Firestik (can't remember exactly the length).

There are a few places online that sell a fender mount specifically for Ford vans, with the correct hood slope angle. I got mine on Amazon last year: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WD3MHI/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1.

This also appears to be the same thing: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/unive ... mount.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote