Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Re: Headlight upgrade (Econoline) questions.....

I had the same kit in my Tacoma. I enjoyed the light output, especially when the high beams were on...especially compared to the stock light output.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

Don't get me wrong... The projector kit is far better than stock. I just found it to not be as good as non-projector HIDs with the Euro lens. And they still shine less glare towards other drivers than the stock diffuser lens with halogens. (Note: the newer Euro lenses with DRLs or the DRL knockout don't fully cover an HID bulb with the little bulb cover thingy, and might result in some unwanted scatter).

With all that.... I think I may just go with TruckLite LED 5x7s eventually, and turn my Euro lenses into headlight covers to keep the modern look.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #13

I just bought some new euro lens headlights on ebay, the older style with the larger anguler bulb cover.

Right now Im using stock lenses with 3600lm hi/lo leds with drivers.
With the stock lenses there is a lot of scatter and massive amount of light. Im hoping the euro lenses with concentrate it a bit.
Ill post results when I get the new lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
lense.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #14

Garage

I have those lenses ^ and these HID's. They work pretty well, nobody has high beamed me yet. Definitely brighter than stock but not as good as true HID projectors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073G1TN6
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

Update....

Hey gang,
Here's what I decided to try first: I ordered a set of clear 6504 housings and these LED's
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K61 ... hptrk_scth

I'm going to do an upgraded harness and relays too, though I'm not sure if that's as crucial with LED's vs HID's (?)

The whole shebang was only about $115 on Amazon, shipped free 2nd day and all that so I figure it's worth the experiment. Like I said before, this is for me an adult version of my flashlight fascination! : )

I'll try and install tomorrow and post another update. After looking at my current "Euro/Aero" stock lights (even after buffing them out last year with a headlight restore kit), :::anything::: will be better! I've had a set of 7" Hella HID driving lights on there for a couple years and finally had to re-aim them to use as supplemental headlights anywhere outside of my neighborhood! I still get flashed though, no matter how low I aim them.

stay tuned!
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

There is no reason to upgrade the harness with either HIDs or LEDs. Both have their own voltage regulator, so the output is constant down to about 9 volts.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #17

I'll go back through some of the other threads I've read, but I thought I'd seen some advice to upgrade the harness to use relays/better wire/direct path......something like that ; ) Trying to cover all 5 bases I guess.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #18

Here's what I was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi
I have your style of headlight housing (commercial vehicle?) on my ambulance so I guess I'm already 1/2 way there? If the bulbs you're using was there a need to upgrade the wiring? I would have thought to be needed only with higher wattage bulbs (90+)
I'll be following your post and might hit you with questions down the road.
Yes, you need the upgraded wiring harness. Two reasons: 1. the voltage drop across the thin wires means the lights will be dimmer with stock wiring, 2. higher current draw means you could cause a Car-B-Q (fire).

So, by going to 2 relays and thicker wire, you're greatly reducing the voltage drop and greatly increasing the current carrying capacity.
Seems to make sense though like I said, my understanding is that the LED's won't draw the extra current that (I've been told) HID's do.... but I'm new to the headlight modding game, so all input is appreciated!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #19

Ok, so I have the sealed beam conversion done (grille and all), LED's installed and aimed. I will pos the pictures as soon as I can get back to my desk, button thought I'd share my initial observations.
The install was super easygoing, other than converting the headlight plugs to H4 3 prong. I had forgotten that the outgoing units were a different plug.

The light output is impressive! Very white, decent range. The Pilot housings or the 3 LED bulbs seem to scatter the pattern out quite a bit though. I'm wondering if a projector setup would help with that? I have e a road trip scheduled this weekend so I can get a better idea of the overall performance, but definitely better than stock! So far the bulbs and housings are still under $100 too.

Stay tuned for pictures!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #20

Sweetums - Do you have a source/part# for the housings? Anxiously awaiting pictures and use report.