Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Heater/Cooling fan/Blower not working. 2013 E250 RB

Hi Everyone, my blower motor has quit working. Its winter here (been raining a lot) and I noticed a morning or two the defroster wouldn't work,, but would seem to start after a few seconds , then sometimes it would take minutes then sometimes you had to be driving some before it would start blowing.

It did this for a few weeks (off and on) and now it's stopped all working at all. No fan motor, no AC blowing etc.

I'm the third owner and It's a 2013 E250 RB with 5.4L with 83,000 miles in fairly good shape. and this is the first issues I've had with the van
I pulled up (2) threads on this board, something similar to the issues I'm having and I hope it's something that can be fixed and not cost me a fortune? I also saw the tread on replacing the blower motor on the Ford Enthusiasts board.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-22578.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-20647.html

I'm not sure if I can do this myself, but I certainly don't want to screw up my AC as I know that's expensive. Anybody got any thoughts on where I start to trouble shoot this? If I can't do it myself (or I shouldn't do this myself) I'll have to take it to a dealer?

thanks
trekgurl

Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

Have you tried the simple things? First, check the fuse for the fan. Also, pull the fan (often called a squirrel cage) and make sure it's not stopped up with a rodents nest preventing it from turning. Have you had any other evidence of critters in your van EVER? If so that is probably the problem.

Ford van blowers very rarely go out. Hopefully it's an easy fix. It's one of the few things I haven't done to one of these vans.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

So I just did a preliminary check under the hood and I don't see anything that would point to varmints,,, but as you said sometimes they do mess up things.

My symptoms are similar to what others are discussing online and and watched several videos on the troubleshooting and replacement of the blower motor and resistor. The process and vans are similar but the fuse designations don't seem to be the same.

I pulled my info from my 2013 e250 manual on fuses and did a preliminary check of the fuse box under the hood and the one under the dash.

I can find the 50amp fuse under the hood for the blower motor and I see the blower relay switch.

I don't see any fuses (from my manual diagrams) abut fuses under the dash? People have made reference to a "15amp" fuse powering the blower relay switch under the dash but I cannot find it?

I included pics of my manual's fuse box layout and fuse designation so if anybody "see's" something let me know.

The trouble didn't seem to "act" like a fuse because the blower didn't stop all at once (like a blown fuse would cause it too?). I've had "blower motors" go out on my bronco over the years and it acted just like that.

I need to get me a basic testing light like a power probe as I have to start trouble shooting my trailers lights soon. Anybody have an recommendations of which to get? I just need a basic kit.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 E250 Van Fuses_Fuse Box 1.jpg   2013 E250 Van Fuses_Fuse Box2.jpg   2013 E250 Van Fuses_Fuse Box 3.jpg   2013 E250 Van Fuses_Fuse Box 4.jpg   2013 E250 Van Fuses_Fuse Box 5.jpg  

Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #4

rolled the dice and went and picked up a blower motor from A vance and ( no gasket with it grrrrrrr.. had to make a gasket out of a shoe insert.

Wind was blowing 25-35 mph and I was freezing but I got it installed and now it's working. :-)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

Garage
OK, I'm impressed!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

oh,,,It wasn't a pretty sight,, and there was a lot curse words.

A friend of mine used to help me work on my bronco (He passed away suddenly a few months ago) :-( . I miss my friend bad. After we would work on it I was dirty, tired, ill, going WTF am I doing. It's certainly not like the "people" you see on TV working on cars. hahaha,,, but we all know tv is entertainment.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgurl View Post
oh,,,It wasn't a pretty sight,, and there was a lot curse words.
Well, you have to know all the necessary words to get anything done.

Sorry you lost your friend. That's one of the worst things I've found about getting older.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:

I pulled my info from my 2013 e250 manual on fuses and did a preliminary check of the fuse box under the hood and the one under the dash.

I don't see any fuses (from my manual diagrams) abut fuses under the dash? People have made reference to a "15amp" fuse powering the blower relay switch under the dash but I cannot find it?
There is Fuse 37 located in the Smart Junction Box---something that might not be shown too clearly in the Owner's Manual. If you'll be doing more electrical work on your own get an EVTM---essentially a book of schematics broken down so you'll checking each system or device's circuits in a logical manner. Here's one for your van: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Ford-E....c100290.m3507 (That's an insane great deal BTW.)

Quote:
I need to get me a basic testing light like a power probe as I have to start trouble shooting my trailers lights soon. Anybody have an recommendations of which to get? I just need a basic kit.
Unless you're doing more advanced circuit testing rather than simply looking for power and/or continuity look into an OTC #3634 like this: http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-3634-Heavy-Duty-Straight-Cord-Circuit-Tester/190830266583?epid=28012059043&hash=item2c6e5ec8d7: g:dHMAAOxy3JtReUPk:rk:10f:0 Another insanely great price on a very good tool. I've used a Snap On version since the mid-80's and when it finally failed started using the OTC's---they're so good I've bought two just to have 'em.

BTW: very impressed you're doing some of your own work---that's usually the most reliable, dependable and cheap source of repairs.

And yes we ALL have those special words we're certain aids our repairs--I mean not a single repair is ever completed without them now is there? Let 'em flow I say--good for the soul!

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote