Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Hella Light Fuses? Boiled relay?

Anyone know where the fuse is for the Hella lights SMB installs? I've got no power to any of my aux lights and found a blown 30 am but no love when I replaced it... think it might have been my high idle which hasn't been working.

All the aux lights pull from some common place and I just want to verify the fuse before I pull my dash kickplate apart again (I know there are inline fuses, but it seemed like they weren't getting any power so I think it's before that somewhere)

I didn't test all the in-line fuses behind the dash because I found one without power, although that might have been the blown 30 amp. I also didn't test all the fuses in the DS fuse panel as some were buried behind wires.

Also, probably unrelated, anyone know what this goes to?

Standard BOSCH, not factory, likely put in by SMB. Had power with the van off, but couldn't determine the function.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Hella Light Fuses? Boiled relay?

I've got a grunch of what appear to be aftermarket fuse holders (red) tucked WAY up in the drivers foot well area. I mean way up there. I just assumed they were for the SMB added lights.

Herb
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I've got a grunch of what appear to be aftermarket fuse holders (red) tucked WAY up in the drivers foot well area. I mean way up there. I just assumed they were for the SMB added lights.
They are. I checked one and it didn't have power, so I figured the problem was closer to the source. Hmm I should go back and pull the dash again now that I've fixed other things.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

I believe the burnt relay is the "Trailer Tow Relay, Battery Charge" The fuse listed for Trailer Tow Relay is F1.8 (it is a 40 amp fuse). It could be why the 30 amp relay sacrificed itself. I suspect that it is possible that SMB tapped into this relay to run your lights. It should supply power when running.

Greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
I believe the burnt relay is the "Trailer Tow Relay, Battery Charge" The fuse listed for Trailer Tow Relay is F1.8 (it is a 40 amp fuse). It could be why the 30 amp relay sacrificed itself. I suspect that it is possible that SMB tapped into this relay to run your lights. It should supply power when running.

Greg
That's EXACTLY what that burned relay is. There are 4 power taps to the other side of that fuse/relay, so I would assume SMB pulled power from one of those taps for the spots
#1 under hood / driver side / on main loom / close to water reservoir.
#2 driver side kick panel, on the trailer brake controller harness.
#3 B pillar, close to the floor, right behind seat-belt.
#4 Just before rear trailer harness, on frame rail.

I know that wiring inside out, I've studied it enough...

BTW, #1 is right next to the High Idle wire loom. Not sure if that's any relation to your high idle not working or not.
But pulling from #2 makes more sense considering inside switch and hopefully another relay and fuse.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote