Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Hella Tire Monitor "Flashing Tire Syndrome"

I'll need to start a thread on how big an idiot I can be so as not to dilute this one. But for now...

I ordered my van with the Hella Tire monitor. I thought it was working fine, but seems to have the alarm disabled or be in some other not fully functional state. It shows tire conditions when I start the van and again any time I hit the check button. But since picking up the van the tire symbol has been flashing. I assumed it meant "OK" and actively monitoring the tires or some such. Recently, though, I had need to air down... and nothing happened. No alarm, nothing. And I aired down more than enough to trigger an alarm. And it's just the tire icon that's flashing, none of the problem indicators.

It was installed last minute. SMBw had forgotten it so installed it while I did the paper work, etc, while picking up the van. So, before I question them or Hella, I figured I'd post here and hope someone who's installed or monkeyed with their tire monitor knows what the issue might be -- including my idiocy. Am I missing something? I can find nothing in the manual or on the Hella web site. Was something done wrong or left unfinished as install time?

Thanks,

Peter

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2

Same thing happened to me when I picked mine up as well. Turns out that SMB did't calibrate it.

Make sure the tire pressure is where you want it first.

Turn off the key, press and hold the button on the left, turn on the ignition, wait till the symbol showing the tire location comes up, release the button. It will then cycle through and calibrate the sensors. (takes about a minute)

Problem that I have is you can't turn it off the alarm when you air down. Jack Burgess on the Yahoo site installed a cut out switch. Check out his write-up if you are interested. Thats on my to do list.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #3

Thanks Charlie. I'll do that this afternoon.

A switch for the monitor is on my to do list.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #4

Yup, that did it. Thanks.

Now I just need to install the idiot light in my forehead. I won't see it go off, but other folks will know I'm being stupid... just like now.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

Oh no, don't worry about that. Now that it is calibrated, the audible alarm kicks in as well. I thought, no problem, won't be able to hear it over the diesel. Wrong! Any time you air down or up and don't recalibrate, you are going to be alerted.

Have fun on you road trip to the East. I thought by law you have to have Gino's Pizza in Chicago?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Charlie,

What did you do about the factory TPMS flashing light?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #7

I asked SMBW again to disable it. They said (again) that they could not / would not. ( I guess it is a factory safety issue similar to the fuel tank vent and they won't alter it.) I did hear that at one time they were considering putting the factory bands in pressurized sealed tube. Haven't followed up on that one and my bands are probably long gone by now anyway.

So I live with the idiot light for now. It flashes for about 30 seconds and then just stays on. Someday I'll figure out which wire to cut or what lamp to pull. Let us know if you come up with a solution. I thought about a piece of electrical tape precisely located but ITS TOO NEW for that kind of fix.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
I thought about a piece of electrical tape precisely located but ITS TOO NEW for that kind of fix.
You're too good for a little spray paint are you?

There have to be guys with Ford trucks who've gone aftermarket rims before the paper plate even came off- I'd say turn to Google and any forums dedicated to Ford pickups equiped with this system. DieselStop.com is good and F150forum.com might have some info.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Charlie,

What did you do about the factory TPMS flashing light?
Anyone with an '08 figure out yet how to disable the factory TPMS light? I had been using black tape but it covers the overdrive light, so I just took it off. If there isn't a permanent fix I guess I will use a piece of removable black card stock.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
no answer here yet.

I am just building up immunity to that particular light.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote