Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Help please, power for my roof rack

Really newby of this, have a 2006 E-360 DSL and are mounting a roof rack with 6 light thats pull 14 amps when connected to an external battery charger. I would like to connect them to a switched power source so they go off when when the SBM is not running. Doing it this way to prevent draining the batteries.

Im all wired to the interior fuse box, but need help with the position I can use and how to tab into it as it is VERY difficult to work down there. Appreciate the help.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #2

Re: Help please, power for my roof rack

Are those 6 lights facing to the same direction? Or you have few sets facing to the each side (utility lights)? If all of them looking to the same direction, then we will use 10 ga wire. Also use split loom to protect wire. Run 10 ga wire from roof rack to the dash board (under steering wheel). Run another wire from the battery to the dash board (you can run 8 ga wire in case if later you planning add more electronics or lights, also i recommend install a circuit breaker between battery and your wire, install it close to the battery, within 18").

I will use new fuse box to keep wires organized (for example blue sea 5025,5028,5029). Find place under dash or steering wheel where you can mount fuse box. Connect fuse box to the power from battery. Use relay, run 10 ga wire from fuse box (use fuse) to terminal number 30 on relay. Connect wire from roof rack to terminal number 87 on relay. Ground terminal number 85 on relay.

Use switch, illuminated switch has 3 terminals. Find ground terminal and ground it. Find accessory terminal and connect it to terminal number 86 on relay. Third terminal on switch going to the constant power or ignition power (use 3 or 5 amp fuse when you connect to it). If you want go off lights when car is not running, then connect it to ignition power. On 2006 diesel it may be pink/green 10 ga wire on harness under steering wheel (ignition harness). Use multimeter to make sure if it is right wire. Turn ignition on and turn on your lights.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Yes, four facing forward and two to the sides. Was hoping to find an open 15 amp circuit i could connect to and avoid having to run a wire to the battery bay on the back right side. Yes, two relays (fwrd and sides) located close to the lights.

I plan on adding extra toys in the next year (winch, air, CB...) so the idea of a new fuse box is probably the best one; being DSL I don't mind running the engine while I use the utility lights, winch, air... Is crazy busy under the driver side and not easy to work in there either. Any other ideas for a good location for the new fuse box that uses the engine battery.

Following this side for six months and pulled the trigger on the SMB two months ago, went with DSL as I found a smoking deal on a 2006 rig with 26k miles. Have some questions on the tell tell signals of the DSL but will post them in the right forum..

Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Just a idea on this but it might be better to use a relay mounted under the hood for each set of light( front, right and left) and then a fuse power source for the front and one for the sides. This way your not running the 15 amps through a switch but only the draw from the coil of the relay and will be a smaller wire and easier to run to a switch or keyed switch. You will need to run the power cables to the lights off the relays.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

Already have a #10 wire running to the top rack with the two relays next to the ligth just inside the canvas. Now need to power up the source wire and the two switching yellow cables for both relays.

Would rather connect the relays to an engine switched power source so they only work when the engine is running. The questions was the best way to get the needed 15 amp; looks like im running a new circuit to the battery with a new fuse box, any ideas outhere on easy fuse box locations?

With so many SMB with extra ligths, whats the most common instalation?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Twice i been installing fuse box under driver step. There is enough space to install middle size fuse box. Also it is possible to install fuse box under passenger side dash.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Great ideas, plenty of open space in front of the passanger seat. Any suggestions on how to best run the #8 wire from the battery bay, under side passenger doors to the front rigth side. Perhaps below the deck, inside a conduit, up under the passanger step. Any cleaner routing options.

Again, thanks for help.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

Under passenger step you can find oval shape hole (same hole under driver side using by Ford for parking brake). Open hood. On passenger side under hood you can throw wire from top to the bottom. Run wire under vehicle to the hole under passenger step. Wire inside. Secure wire every fit.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #9

Is an 2006 Diesel, dual battery set up, hanging from the frame under paassages side doors, so ill come under and inside the front passanger step.

Now need to figure a way to connect to the battery without the Ford recomender transmition jack. May need to take this to the local garage so they can use a vehicle Jack.

By the way, thanks for the help
Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #10

If you're gonna do a winch, you might want to run the wire for that at the same time. It's gonna be even beefier, and might eliminate the need to essentially do it twice.

I assume you're not using the front lights for driving. Here in CA I believe they have to be wired to the high beam circuit, although maybe that's propaganda from the manufacturer. Generally no one gets hassled, unless you need a DMV inspection (rare). They only hassle for the covers on the lights which, of course, are for "off road use only."

Rob