Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Help! Scangauge Causing Crank No Start

I agree with everything that’s been said, I’d also check for corrosion at the starter solenoid? I had the issue of my fusible link frying out, but I’m pretty sure that created a no start/no crank scenario.
Where does the Edge plug into? It certainly sounds like there’s an electrical or ground issue going on, how it gets patched through the OBD port when the SG is plugged in is beyond me.
How old are the batteries? Starting and house. Can you get a voltage reading on the house side? Got one of those 12V plug in type volt readers?
If the house batteries are low, as in the reading you’re getting from the Edge, it might be messing with things on the starting side.
Do you have the original battery isolator? Its possible that it’s faulty and stuck in an open state, with the house side drawing down your starters and causing a low voltage issue intermittently when cranking.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I agree with everything that’s been said, I’d also check for corrosion at the starter solenoid? I had the issue of my fusible link frying out, but I’m pretty sure that created a no start/no crank scenario.
Where does the Edge plug into? It certainly sounds like there’s an electrical or ground issue going on, how it gets patched through the OBD port when the SG is plugged in is beyond me.
How old are the batteries? Starting and house. Can you get a voltage reading on the house side? Got one of those 12V plug in type volt readers?
If the house batteries are low, as in the reading you’re getting from the Edge, it might be messing with things on the starting side.
Do you have the original battery isolator? Its possible that it’s faulty and stuck in an open state, with the house side drawing down your starters and causing a low voltage issue intermittently when cranking.
REF
1. The van starts fine with the scanguage. It cranks, but does not fire with the scan gauge removed. It sounds like, and looks like it's not getting fuel.

2. Edge gets plugged into OBD port just like scanguage.

3. Batteries are 3 years old, and seem strong. 12.7 volts - after trying to crank it over six or seven times.

4. House battery is in good shape, and actively topped off by solar.

5. I will manually disconnect house battery from the isolator and try again.

Thanks!
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Help! Scangauge Causing Crank No Start

Pull, clean and lubricate your cam sensor plug connector with some CRC contact cleaner, do the same with the PCM and FICM harness plugs.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #14

There are two ground pins (4 & 5)on the Communications Port (ODBII Connector). I guess it would be possible that the Scangauge is internally connecting these together. The voltage pin is pin 16, you should read the same voltage measuring voltage across 4 & 16 as when you measure 5 & 16.

If there is a difference you would need to track down that down.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #15

found this diagram for making up a SG2 harness, looks like pin 4 and 5 are jumped.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FAF17C0-4104-4463-8F20-164C96FB407C.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	43922
Old 05-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #16

And this PDF may be helpful - note the 562 DTC references the PCM

7.3L_Powerstroke_Powertrain_System.pdf
Old 05-15-2022, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
I cleaned this terminal. It looks like a small connection has broken off. Could this be it? I can’t find a wire that would go there anywhere.
What is the location of this?

greg
Old 05-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
What is the location of this?

greg
Greg, maxswasser will have to confirm but I am pretty sure this is the multiple ground terminal in the engine bay side of the front sheet metal behind the driver side headlight. I have a bolt that looks the same and I know the importance of THAT particular grounding connection. Those grounds run into the Power Distribution Block.

I just went to check that location on our 7.3 and it has the small ring terminal with a black wire attached to it. As best as I can trace by feeling along the wire, it looks like it goes under and then into the harness connected to the Power Distribution block with the large fuses.

I would suggest maxswasser look more closely under the Power Distribution block to see if there is a loose wire floating around. It does not have a lot of play and looks like it could easily be broken off from the ring terminal, especially after 20 years.

I will see if I can get some pictures, I just have lots of stuff in that corner!
Old 05-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #19

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5934773-CD99-47F2-833B-145E57F043B1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	43924

Just because it is overcast and I am bored- on our rig I removed that smaller wire from the ground bolt, van started with Scangauge 2 connected and started w SG2 disconnected.

full voltage was present at OBD2 pin 16 w ground to pin 4 or 5, key off. I did not check w key on.

Hoping maxswasser can confirm "Wait to Start" light is illuminating in both start and non start situations.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #20

I would just check to see what ground is bad if any (pin 4 or pin 5 ) . Ground at Left Hand Rocker panel would be my suspect location.

-greg

Tags
scangauge no start