Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #11

TwoXentrix, do you use an MPPT controller? If so what are you using? I think I am going for the Renogy Rover Elite 20A controller rather than the Acopower brand MPPT. Any thoughts on a controller? Many thanks for your feedback and glad to hear you are satisfied with the Acopower panels!

Also, what was your source for 100' of wire. Did you use regular wire and add the ends yourself?

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #12

Consider Victron 100/30 MPPT controller. Nice unit, Bluetooth control, logical interface - mount it out of the way.

I have used Renogy's SC's - not so impressed.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

Garage
I bought one suitcase with the controller and one without. I dont use their controller, just have it on hand in case I need it for ???
I have my suitcase setup spliced into the wires on the penthouse roof - between the roof solar & just prior to entering into the penthouse (using another "Y" connector)...so it uses the current solar controller Sportsmobile installed.
I did install the MC4 connectors myself (very easy to do). Cable can be purchased cheaper I'm sure, but I went the easy route:
https://www.amazon.com/Temco-Solar-E...5032765&sr=8-6
Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #14

I agree with 1der on the solar controller, can't go wrong with Victron. Outside of their panels, i am not impressed by Renogy. These inline MC4 fuse holders work great for fusing panels. The out fuse will ultimately be decided by the controller, they should have a recommendation on size, I would go with a MAXI fuse & holder or MIDI fuse & holder

I have not yet found a make your own SAE connector & crimper. You of course can butt-joint their adapters. They also make enough already made SAE to whatever, you should be able to find already made. I would do the extension in segments, (SAE to MC4) that way if the long length is not needed you don't need to deploy, if needed just add a extension (SAE to SAE)

Good choice on the panels, Sunpower continues to rule on efficiency, and are also the best for shading. Looks like a good package.

For deployment, if the goal is to bring the battery to full charge, I generally try to maximize the charge to get it through the bulk phase and into the absorption phase as quickly as possible. The bulk phase is the only phase when you can pretty much use the full current capacity of the panels. Once you reach absorption you will start a tapered charge, but it is key to have enough power to maintain this phase. . It all really depends on the depth of discharge of the battery. Obviously if panels orientated in morning and afternoon position can fully charge the battery you are better off, because catching more afternoon power will limit the discharge for the next day.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:40 AM   #15

Thanks guys. Great info and a huge help. I will go with the Victron controller. The panels should get here tomorrow and the rest of the stuff next week. Looking forward to getting this all installed.
Thanks again for the help and I will post an update on the install and how it all works.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
Old 08-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #16

Finished the install. All is working well. Thanks for all the help in picking out parts and products.
Installed Zamp sidewall port into side of van (beware that the wires are reversed on this on the SAE connector and the color of the wires (red= neg black= positive) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inline 15 Amp fuse for positive line from PV panels: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

50' of extenson wire 10 AWG with MC4 connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maxi Fuse to fuse Solar controler to battery connection: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Victron Mppt 20 amp controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Acopower folding 120 W portable soft panels: https://www.acopower.com/collections...s/hy-12m-3x40w

Misc wire and connectors and plastic wire protector.

Used poly pipe in the hole drilled in the van to protect wire and used plastic wire protector inside the poly pipe to be extra cautious.
Attached Thumbnails
20200802_124910.jpg   20200802_124943.jpg  
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
Old 08-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #17

Garage
LOOKING GOOD! It will be interesting to see what you get from the 2 panels - I've seen just over 12 when both panels are pointed towards the sun.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #18

Good looking job, i would add some tie wraps for the wires going into the controller. It is best to hold those wires down as best as possible. wouldn't hurt going and coming from fuse either. It is also good to go back and retorgue those connections.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #19

Thanks for the complements and suggestions! This is done just in time for a week long trip in the van with the family next week. Will be a good first test.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP