Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #21

Re: Honda Generator and Portable Air Conditioners.

UPDATE: Well I am disappointed and have to spend more money. Keep in mind I have a voyager top. Report: It was 102 in Sacramento. The Honda 2000 WILL power the The Danby 5000. All research I did shows this set up should cool 165 sq. ft. It doesn't come close. At that temp. this unit WITH THE VAN engine running and air cond. on MAX AIR would hold 81 degrees. Without the van running it would hold 91 degrees. I wish I had room On my top for a full 13500 unit. I guess I'll research a 2nd Honda generator on a bumper carrier and a higher BTU unit. (I'm doing most of this for my dog believe it or not). I just can't fiqure out any other way. Any suggestions??
I'm still going to try this current system with shore power to see if it kicks out any more cold air but I doubt it. The previous mentioned system of a window air conditioner I understand would be a little more efficient. RD

dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #22

The SMB website seems to imply that a Honda 2000 generator would run their roof air conditioner. (13500 btu). How could this be?
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #23

I have the 9,000 btu coleman polar cub
run a yamaha 2400 generator

i have a buddy that runs the same AC with a honda
it really struggles to turn on

dont know how a 13,500 would work.....

Was in 'Bama hills weekend before last
hot Hot HOT
the coleman cooled the rig down to high 70's
needed to run two fans to circulate air (cruiser top)

The floor was hot to the touch

My read:
Rigs hold hot air in
- my suburban heater keeps me warm and toasty
-also appears to let the heat IN from Outside when hot

The AC is for me AND Cooper the Dog and Mrs. Wilson

I am gonna try camo drapes to keep the outside surfaces out of the sun
that IS if i can get outta my freaking office
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #24

sunpentown 7500 only draws 6 amps and will start and run on honda 2000
Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #25

This seems to be an ongoing subject in many forums over the years but I have never seen an install like this or anyone selling kits to do so. I've seen side window projects you set up when camping or back window installs using plywood or plastic, etc. I was looking for something that could handle off road driving and ready to use when I needed it.

I'm working on DIY website showing step by step pictures for those interested but here is a look at the in progress picture. I Plan to add solid cover over outside with louvers like you see on the old hot rod hoods. so it looks more like storage box vs air conditioner and painted to match vehicle.

My Yamaha 2000 runs A/C unit just fine since it only pulls 450 watt. (start up 4.5 amp, I tested with meter. if you wait 1-2 min. between turning unit off and restarting the pressure drops and was about 4.5-4.8 amp on restart up. Now if you pull the plug and plug it back in which you would never do the amp draw can reach 22 amps but waiting even 20-30 seconds and plugging in changes to 8-9 amps. Now wait 1-2 min. which is what the unit would do on it's own and amp draw is back to 4.5 approx.) Wanted to clear that up since I have heard people say these little units draw much more than that. This leaves enough power for everything else I would run provided A/C compressor is not on when using microwave but that is easy enough to prevent.

FYI: Not to change the subject but power boosters or capacitors for A/C can be added to larger A/C units to help smaller gen. handle start up. Do a google search, lots of DIY on the subject.

Will a 5000 btu cool the interior of an insulated van in the Florida heat ? depends on many variables but I can say it cools much better than not having A/C I placed thermometer outside in direct sunlight and one inside heated van ( Elk factory conversion van only no extra insulation has been added ) which had been sealed up in sun till 1 pm. with no window covers other than windshield. It was well over 110 degree inside and outside reads 110 in direct sunlight while in damp shaded corner of house with oak trees reads 90 then inside van reads 84 degree after 90 min. approx. with 45% humidity inside and 85% outside. Park vehicle in shade and that number quickly dropped to 74 degree. Once the sun went down and outside temp was upper 80's the inside temp fell to 63 in 90 min. with 35% humidity. Unit may not work as well as 10k to 13,5k roof air but total cost was under $500. That includes Upholstry shop after cutting hole in panel.

Because of door pillar support and locking latch / cable inside door you don't have room for a larger unit without cutting door pillar and I wouldn't suggest that unless your going to mod door support. Unit is riveted to A/C frame and then riveted to van door. because the 2 pc. slides together it sandwiches the door between them and frame is riveted to door panel inside and out. Very sturdy install. Unit sticks out 6" beyond door.

You can pick up A/C unit from Sears for $100 and when I get a chance to finish website you can see how it's done and purchase fabricated frame support pieces if you like.

I designed this out of need but will fab frame pieces if others need them.

for more info contact stkshooter@gmail.com

moderators, if this post is a problem please contact me. Just trying to help people find solutions.
stkshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgars
The SMB website seems to imply that a Honda 2000 generator would run their roof air conditioner. (13500 btu). How could this be?
I think you have to have a 2000W inverter installed for that unit to work. I have one to power the start up of my Danhard/Starcool and it works well. However you must have a good battery for it to be reliable. If the battery has ever been abused or more than 3 years old, forget about it.