Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Honda Generator Overload Problems

My Honda 2000i generator always kicks off into the overload mode whenever I hook it into my Sportsmobile. I leave it on full throttle ( ecothrottle off) turn all breakers off and even turn my 2000 watt triplite inverter to charge only and still it shuts down into overload mode every time. It charges fine when plugged into 110 outlet. Is there a setting or switch on the inverter that needs to be changed? I have read posts that some people run microwaves etc when their generator is hooked up, so I would guess that it should work. Thanks for any input that anyone out there may have.

stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: Honda Generator Overload Problems

Steve,

We use our Honda 2000 a lot in the fall at football tailgates with McBeast, and we have never to my knowledge had it trip into an overload situation.

At Thanksgiving we ran 2 microwaves and two TVs (one a 36in flat sccreen) with the battery charger on at the same time.

We run ours on ecothrottle all the time.

It sounds to me like either the Generator has an issue or your electrical system does.
Could there be a ground problem?

I think I would start by getting the generator checked out by a Honda service place.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

My inverter has a powershare mode, where it assumes some of the load over a certain draw- for example my garage is on 15A so I keep it set at that, and I can pull 20A through the van and the invertor picks up the slack (in theory, but I never plug anything in when in shore power), but also the charging system shouldn't pull more than 15A. My thought was maybe if you set your invertor to 15A or even 10A and try that, it would not pull over that from the generator.

Also maybe plug a couple microwaves and TV or vacuum cleaner and toaster in to the Honda directly and see what happens, meaning remove the van from the equation and see what the generator can handle or if it goes into overload mode.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #4

Please be more specific if you can? What is connected and drawing power when you plug in? Are you switching off the 110v sources before you plug in the operating generator? What sort of battery set up do you have - 2 pack or a single large marine?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Please be more specific if you can? What is connected and drawing power when you plug in? Are you switching off the 110v sources before you plug in the operating generator? What sort of battery set up do you have - 2 pack or a single large marine?
I have tried turning off all appliances and put my Triplite 2000 inverter on charge only so there is no draw and I still get the overload shutdown. I have 2 large 40 AGM gel batteries. This weekend I am going to plug a microwave, toaster etc into the generator directly to try to isolate the problem as suggested by the previous post. If the generator works ok under this circumstance then it must be the inverter setup or a ground problem or .......??????

I pass by SMB in Fresno on occasion so I may stop in for advise.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #6

Double check your Tripp-lite DIP switches. You can view the manual at; http://www.tripplite.com/shared/techdoc ... 932592.pdf See pages 6R to 8R.

Group "A" DIP switches should all be "down". (FYI, Lifeline AGM Battery techs recommended selecting "Wet Cell Battery" in order to reach the voltage level needed to fully charge the AGM battery. Gel Cell batteries typically require a lower voltage and this setting would not fully charge the AGM batteries.)

On Group "B" DIP switches, "B4" should be "down", and "B3", "B2", and "B1" should be "up". This configuration enables the Charger to charge at a high rate. If this configuration still causes the Honda Genset to shut down, then move "B4" DIP switch "up". With all the Group "B" DIP switches "up", the Genset should stay online, it will just take longer for the batteries to charge.

I hope this helps!

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #7

John is correct, but unless you have the temp sensor connected to your battery set (which SMB did for me and probably did for you too) I would leave the B4 switch in the UP position.

When you say the connection trips, to what exactly are you referring: the GFI or the breaker? I suspect you are talking about the GFI. If so do a search on this forum as I have posted extensively on this subject.

Bottom line is that I could find no way to consistently avoid the GFI tripping. Paul at SMB-Austin could not help and we both called Tripp-Lite who declined to comment. They do however have a veiled reference in the owners manual that the charger should not be connected to a circuit that has a GFI and that the vehicle should have one - which ours do. Why this is the case is a guess which I posted on late last year. I removed my GFI and use a conventional breaker protected circuit, heavy gauge extension cords and have had no more problems since.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #8

Apologies - I think my reply is misdirected as you are concerned about the generator tripping. Sort of the same question though - what is tripping? The overload circuit on the generator? If it is that and you are making the connection with Charge-only being selected, I suspect its the same problem as I referred to using the 110v wall sockets. Try to make the connection with the inverter selected. If the generator remains on line, wait for 10 minutes for what I suspect is a large capacitor in the inverter to be recharged, and then switch to Charge-only.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #9

As an extension of this issue, I am now seeing something of the same problem with my 15 amp non GFI power source. Left the van overnight with (AFAIK) only the CO monitor powered. This morning when I tried to connect on CHARGE ONLY, the breaker tripped, several times. Once again the only way to overcome this was to activate the Inverter, connect the power, wait until the remote monitor showed green lights on both sides, and then switch to CHARGE ONLY.

I would really like to see the Charge circuitry of the Tripp-Lite inverter. There has to be something that pulls/uses a major amount of current upon connection? The Help Line is brain dead !

After the driving the van for 30 minutes, I was able to reconnect on CHARGE ONLY without the breaker tripping.

Translating this to the Honda issue, I would like to know if you have tried to connect with the inverter powered up?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
After the driving the van for 30 minutes, I was able to reconnect on CHARGE ONLY without the breaker tripping.
I've run into this issue, too. If I let the van sit for a while and then plug it in, it trips the circuit breaker on the line (on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.) If I run the van for 10 minutes before plugging it in, it's fine.

I think what's happening is that the inverter reads the "low" 12.8 voltage and wants to charge at max current, which I think is 30-40 amps. If I've just run the van, the batteries temporarily have a 13+ voltage and the inverter will then charge at a lower current.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote