Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

House fuse panel

The house lights in my van work sporadically—just never when I need them to (at night). I know the lights themselves aren't burned out, nor is it a fuse. I'm assuming the fuse panel is the culprit—something is loose that I can't tighten. The challenge, as anyone who has done this before knows, is that the fuse panel is really hard to get at without unbolting and removing the rear seat (which I will do when I replace it). I hoping someone here can tell me what the part number is or a suitable replacement for the one installed at the SMB factory. Van is a 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
FusePanel-1.jpg   FusePanel-2.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #2

I'd be surprised if it was the fuse panel.. There's not much to go wrong.

Have you checked the switch? All wiring connections (SMB is known to use cheap butt crimp connectors)?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #3

You could be right, but all the house lights work sporadically. Sometimes they all work at the same time, other times none work. Which means no, I've not checked each light. Yet.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #4

Sounds like a switch issue to me. Best to trouble shoot when they don't work. Use a meter and start from the battery and check voltages until you get to the light. That will determine the faulty component.
QuadsBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Wbp

You could have a bad ground somewhere in the system. Start with the suggestion QuadsBC said and also check the grounds the move thought system.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

Typically, sportsmobile wires the lights into the passenger and driver side fuses, ceiling lights will be tied to the driver side with there own fuse, any of the 12 volt power sockets are tied to the side they are on. So if you have multiple lights that go off, I would see if you can tie it to what circuit it is.

If it appears to be lights (or devices from either side) then it might be the fuse panel or on the other side of the fuse panel, I suspect that it is tied to one of the circuits, and I would suspect the ground connection as much as the fuse side of things.

I am not a fan of that fuse block anyhow, if you need to replace I would go with bluesea https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems-...i=desktop&th=1

The 8 circuit inline unit will enable you to keep all your out put wire's to one side like your existing one.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Greetings UnaccomplishedAngler,

My van originally had the same fuse block as yours and was nothing but trouble. Always had one side of the van going dead or the other. It was routine to have the hit the cabinet like Fonzie once at camp in order to get things to work. You won't go wrong with replacing it with a Blue Sea Systems type. I would recommend before a loose connection starts to get too hot. Been there, had that happen too. I'm also not a fan of those blocks that SMB used back in that period.

Scalf77/Greg is dead on with the good information, as always. But I would also add that if your replacing the fuse block that you replace the main circuit beaker too. Those automotive ones SMB used can waste a lot of power and have quite a bit of voltage drop across them. If it's warm it's wasting. I went with a main fuse but perhaps a marine circuit breaker would be as efficient. Here is a thread talking about fusing and wire which might be helpful. I was trying to find a thread talking specifically about main fuse/circuit breakers and may have missed.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-18703.html

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the link to the Blue Sea unit. I'm going to start by replacing the fuse block, and go from there. Once the van is out of winter hibernation, that is. Sounds like replacing the circiut breaker is a good, easy idea as well.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Now that the van is out of winter hibernation I'm finally getting near the point where I'm going to replace the fuse block. I purchased the Blue Sea. My question, before I begin, is this (I'm not particularly gifted when it comes to electrical matters):

On the original fuse block, left side, is the two post device (relay?) to which are connected two red leads. I assume I need to use this with the Blue Sea unit, correct? If there's someone who has done this swap that has a photo they'd be willing to post, much appreciated. Perhaps @shuttlepilot ?

Has anyone ever removed the rear seat? It would make changing out the fuse block a LOT easier, but doing so looks like a bit of a chore in and of itself.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #10

Not sure exactly what that unit is or does.

But yes, you probably just want to attach the end of the right big red cable to the bolt/stud on your block. And make sure everything is good and tight.