Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Re: How do you Mount your Solar Panels?

I don't think it would be beneficial to have tilting solar panels on a RV unless, you were prone to camp in one location for a long period of time. The variables for the best angle change based on both time of year (You could choose a optimal for all year), and by location. I have not seen any rooftop installs that had the adjust-ability that I think would make it prudent (or worth the time) for tilting. Of course a portable would lend itself to tilting much easier.

I agree that you need some airflow under the panel to aid in cooling, but I think angling is not necessary for that.

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #12

Mine was pretty close to yours using the Thule racks for my 2x100 panels. I posted some pics in a previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14213
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

I agree that for full time use it is beneficial to have tilt-able panels. Most of the ones I have seen are on slow travel rigs where they stay in the same cg for 4 or more days. Many never tilt unless they are having trouble fully charging their battery bank. However, they almost always make sure to get the satellite dish set-up correctly for television.

We'll be adding solar in the coming months but it will not be tilt-able. I'm sure there will be a time or two that we'd want to keep the panel(s) cooler and optimize charging but it's more important for us to keep it as simple as possible. I'm thinking of drilling through the penthouse and bolting the panel(s) on but wonder what damage I could cause if I caught it on something. I don't want them to walk away so I can't make it easy to remove but some sort of breakaway system would be nice. Maybe a homemade faring with lots of holes to allow airflow but prevent snagging?

I'll keep watching this thread until we get to that project.

-John
Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

One of the reasons I like the rack is not only does it provide a place for 360* lighting, the rack also protects the panels. All the wiring can be ran inside as well if designed correctly. I did have a problem when the CB radio whipped back after hitting a tree limb where because of its length shattered a brand new panel. YMMV

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

J&M:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
I don't want them to walk away so I can't make it easy to remove but some sort of breakaway system would be nice. Maybe a homemade faring with lots of holes to allow airflow but prevent snagging?

-John
That is why I want to add a fairing. IMO it can be 6" to 1' forward of the front panel so as not to constrict air flow under the panels, it just needs to deflect (i.e., parry) a branch up and over the panels. It can be sacrificial. That said, although I have had to pick small limbs and leaves from under the front panel, I have never really had a problem. On the other hand, I don't offroad. And if I did, I have another rig for that. The SMB is a travel rig, primarily for snow country but sometimes taking a large group to out of state rivers.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Team

I don't know about all you, but I mount the shiny side toward the sun. That's the most important thing.

(Sorry, but its been a looong day).
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #17

Just finished mounting 600 watts to my van, and love the results. I first bolted each set of 3 panels together with 1/8" aluminum bar stock from HD (ALL hardware SS, of course).

Then added 3 SS door hinges from HD to each side of each 3-panel bank. Replaced the hinge pins with 6mm SS bolts, which can be removed from EITHER SIDE to allow each bank to tilt left or right. The outside leaves of each hinge are bolted to 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock, from ebay.

This bar stock is then bolted to the van's OEM roof rails. Super low-profile. Though had I raised them up about 3/4", would have been able to hide the combined box under a panel. Still though - really can't see much of anything from ground level.

VanGuy6678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #18

First of all... Look at the real estate on that roof!!!

Second your design is Simply Brilliant! I will likely modify mine to copy yours. Thank you for posting.

Please post what you do for supports. What about putting hinges on each end of a flat bar to insert pins into the existing hinges to prop the panels upright?

Looking forward to seeing completion of your design.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #19

what's the difference in wattage in the late afternoon flat versus tilted?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #20

For those of you who don't want to go full on VanGuy6678 design (like I do) I came across these which may be of interest:

http://rvsolarconnection.com/system-com ... mounts.htm