Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #11

Re: I have 12 hours for input :-(

Above did not fix problem. Indeed the speedometer read 2x the speed for a few seconds and then went to zero. The trans now continually hunting for what gear to be in. I took a guess and replaced the VSS with: BWD S8363 (Express 2500 BaseV8 - 5.7L vin R 350ci - MFI GAS OHV) VSS. Speedometer is back but flaky as before, the ABS iight is not on, but the trans is still hunting. Will go to dealer FIRST thing Monday. Get in line 30 minutes before opening time. Hopefully we can be on the road by noonish.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

Bummer Len! I wish I knew how to get in touch with one of our fleet mechanics at work! They've been working on Chevy vans (specifically) for a long time. I hope the dealer finds a quick fix and you guys can salvage your trip.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I just did a little searching...didn't know your tranny was acting up. The voltage control module is supposed to be located where water can splash and cause corrosion. Almost sounds like a poor connection.
I found several posts on the web about similar issues. Not saying it's your problem but this thread sounds like the same:
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1 ... ems/20450/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

can't help on the speedo issue, but did you check your brake fluid reservoir? When it's low, lights on the dash will turn on.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #15

Yes, fluid levels and fuses were first things on my list. All were good.

Hopefully the dealer can expedite getting what ever needed repairs done and we can be on our way yet tomorrow, "only" one day late.

ON THE OTHER hand it is much better to have the problem pop up at home and not at a remote campground on the Georgian Bay.

Other past "adventures":

1. Driving over the Smokey Mountains on the Blueridge Parkway. Near highest point and van power steering pump fails. Have to drive down out of the mountains on very windy two lane parkway. Lucky I was able to get behind a guy pulling a travel trailer and he was going really slow. So he and not me was holding up the rest of the traffic. My arms got 6 inches longer from pulling on the steering wheel through all those turns.

2. Being at Yellowstone N.P. and discovering that my front breaks are really, really warn out. Wife could hear the wear indicators rubbing for a LONG time but I couldn't hear them. She didn't bother to tell me because of my "normal" response when she hears a funny noise in a car. The van at the time only had 30k miles on it and it didn't occur to me that I should be checking the breaks for wear. Made very heavy use of 2nd and 1st gears descending out of the mountains to get to a dealership. Front pads completely gone but the rooters were still in good shape.

3. My wife reminded me. Our old Ford van..... I think it was a 1980 van that we got in 1990. it was our prototype RV. Any way, we were in Killarney Prov. Park on the north shore of the Georgian Bay. The park had only gotten a road into it two years before we got there. Up until then the only way in was via boat into the local fishing village. Any way just as we pulled in the van ECM died. We were able to get to a camp site but that was all. The ranger let us use his marine radio to contact a "garage" (aka: jack of all trades boat repair shop) in the fishing village. A couple of the owners buddies came to the campground and towed it the 10 miles into the village. Yes, it was the ECM and closest town that would have a new one was Sudbury and that was 50 miles and two hours away. He did have an old used one in his stash so I went with that. It worked fine. If I remember right he charged less than $100 for the whole job.

Maybe we need a thread on near misses.

The Green TARDIS
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #16

I have 12 hours for input :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS

ON THE OTHER hand it is much better to have the problem pop up at home and not at a remote campground on the Georgian Bay.
I agree totally. We can only do our best to prepare for the adventure and hope that the only surprises are enjoyable ones.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #17

Follow-up

Got to dealership at 6:30 Monday morning. First in line at 7AM when they opened. Diagnoses was that body computer (my name not theirs) had failed. Probable cause of failure was some water was found inside the case. Had one in stock. Remainder of day to replace unit, then trouble getting anti-theft in key cylinder to work w new unit. Had to drop steering column and replace key cylinder. That drove job into early Tuesday AM. Picked up van at 10AM drove home, refreshed ice in cooler AND ANTI-THEFT WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE IGNITION KEY....ie: fuel pump is deactivated. Had to be flat bedded 4 miles back to dealership.

Switched to plan 'B' while waiting 30 minutes for flat bed, grabbed needed gear and food out of van, and got 'old' 4 man Eureka Alpine Meadows out of garage and loaded car. Told dealership we will pick up van when we get home and hit the road by noon. Lost 2 days of trip but had great time.

One ooops: 4 man Eureka Alpine Meadows turned into my daughters old 2 man Eureka Timberline. We felt like beached whales first two mornings until we got our bodies to start bending. Rained heavy first night but Eureka tent .... even old one..... was great. Have not slept in a tent in probably 20 years of having vans. Make that 18 years. When daughter was senior in school, the two of us went on a father-daughter back packing trip and used her tent. But again I was 18 years younger.

Oh yes, dealership message on phone last night (late Saturday) was that first replacement body computer from GM was faulty and they had to get a second unit. Van is fine now and they have it in secure storage lot until we get home and can pick it up. Will pick up Monday and really check it out.

The Green TARDIS
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #18

Len

Glad to hear that you thought of a backup plan that worked out well. Imagine that you have a greater appreciation for your SMB.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #19

If the van continues to have problems with the PATS key system, it probably needs a full new steering column harness. VERY common on the '96-02 Chevy vans. The dealer should be able to pull up a TSB re: the problem. The intermittent loss of recognition of the key pretty much is a sure bet it need that harness replaced.