Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: I think I fried my inverter- i wanna cry-help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrivan
hey NRL---tell us more about your AMCOR air conditioner....where do you keep it and how do you run the window vent? happy with it? thanks
I guess we're jacking the thread..
I plan on writing up a new thread on my experience with various non-Starcool, portable small air conditioners.

So far I've tried a Toyotomi, a Danby, and now the AMCOR. All rated between 5000btu to 9000btu, or 6 amps at 110volts to 8 volts at 110 volts.

Really like the AMCOR, it's small, thin (thinest) of the three and really cools down the Sporto on any hot day. In fact it does so well, I have to run it at the lowest fan setting.

Anyways, look for the thread in a few days.. I need to take pics of all three and more of the 5inch hole I drilled out on the back near the rear door for the vent. The vent hole is definintely better then the window vent adaptor I made..

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #12

Not sure what you did or not did to the inverter. Running 110 volts through your shore wiring with the Honda 2000i SHOULD have had no effect on anything anymore then running an extension cord from your home. The van should have thought it was running on shore power (just from the Honda power company and not your local utility). You could not have fried your inverter with the Honda alone. 1. It doesn't put out 220 volts, only 110 volts. 2. Even if it put out 220v it would have been hard to hook it up to the van since the plugs for 110v and 220v are of different designs (for that reason).

I have a larger Honda, a 2600 watt model that I back feed my house on during power outages. The Honda inverter technology for generating 110 volts is the same for all of their generators.

I sure would double check that there is not a reset switch that you missed reseting. If you have a house battery "kill" switch that would remove ALL power (12v as well as 110v) from the inverter, I would also try that. I have been able to confuse my Tripp Lite 1000w inverter with some of the funny wiring I have used in my rig. My failure mode is that the Tripp Lite thinks the battery power is low even when it is not. Will shut down with in a second of being turned on. Killing ALL power to it resets its memory (my words) and it then works fine again.

My first Tripp Lite, a 500 watt unit, fried itself two thirds of the way though our Alaska trip. Only had 3-4 hundred hours on it. Knew it was fried from the smell of burned wiring in the unit and the lack of 110 volts.

Good Luck

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #13

I have the same set up as you do with one exception - unless you have the upgrade to the newe version of the Starcool compressor for which they use the parent company name - Danhard, the 2000i will NOT have sufficient power even with a TrippLite 2000W inverter, to handle the start up. There are even circumstances under which the Danhard plus TrippLite plus Honda 2000i are not sufficient to deal with the compressor kick-in.

Pur simply - connect the Honda to the 30 amp van connector, then wait 10 minutes for the charger to complete the power up of the condenser set on the inverter. Switch to inverter; then switch on your 110V breakers including the a/ac breaker. Then switch on the a/c and set the temp.

However this will not work with the Starcool - it MUST be a Danhard upgrade or replacement.