Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #11

Re: In dash DVD and back-up camera

I put a new stereo in my 08 last year. The dash was pretty simple, being the "old" rounded style from the years before.

I agree with BrianW, Crutchfield is great. Had a problem with the stereo (Garmin navi software install was massively broken), and Crutchfield sent me out a new unit after a 3 minute phone call. Aside from the waiting, the exchange process was painless.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
I am thinking of installing a back up camera. I am considering wiring it to a constant source of power when the key is on so I could check it when not in reverse. Did you do it that way? If so what source of power did or would you use that is near the back of the van?
Most systems are powered from the monitor end, or a box that is closer to the monitor that everything plugs in to. You don't actually have a power wire to the camera that you hook up, nor the monitor.

I put mine in with two switches- one constant power from the house batteries, which I took from the headliner (where my control box is) and one that emulates a 12v reverse signal, because that was the only way to get the 3rd camera- my "3 camera" system is actually 2 camera inputs, 1 AV video input, and one camera input that only comes on when the reverse wire is hot- so I actually have 4 video inputs but one is not accessible with buttons.

Incidentally I used the reverse camera input inside the van, the actual rear camera is on one of the others. The switch works to quickly switch between two cameras ("reverse" and last AV).
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
DVD

Debated a long time over replacing the old Kenwood in my 2005 with a state-of-the-art Stereo/Navigation/Camera system. Not being able to make up my mind, or justify the costs, I went with a simple stand-alone back-up camera for around $100. The whole system installed in about an hour, took camera and monitor power from a back-up light source and mounted the 4" monitor above the rear view mirror. This may be a temporary solution if I finally decide to upgrade everything else, but for now I can at least see what's behind me when I'm backing up.

(Sorry for the poor quality photo - just snapped it quickly with my phone and didn't have exposure compensation.)
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor.jpeg  
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #14

What head unit did you get 2horsegarage?

And how do you like it after a few months?

Phil
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote