Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Install location for charge controller and fuses in e-series walls

Hello, I know this is a Sportsmobile forum, but folks also seem to have knowledge of the ford e-series vans in general, so was hoping I could get some thoughts on my solar charge controller and assorted other bits to set up my solar system in my unconverted 2005 e-350 van.

Specifically, I'm wondering if there is room on the passenger's side panel walls (behind the barn doors) or on the driver's side panel walls (middle of the van to the back) to embed the components I need into the wall between the metal skin and the stock plastic panels. I have not taken the panels off to inspect yet as it involves removing the bench seats also and they are bulky (require 2 people).

I've got a Victron MPPT solar charge controller and a Victron Orion combiner (so I can charge from solar or alternator) which need to be mounted to piece of plywood secured to the walls somehow. I would also have a couple of buss bars, ATO blade fuse panel and probably a some other small bits. I would set up a couple of connection points in the wall also for panels that include lighter port and USB ports (and a voltage gauge) so I have some charging points for kid's electronics and the ARB fridge/freezer we travel with.

Wanted to see if any of the forum experts had some thoughts on placement before I go disassembling the interior plastic panels. The goal is to have the components close to each other but protected so was thinking of embedding everything in the panels with cutouts for access. Appreciate any thoughts from the group!!

fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #2

Garage
Good question. I’m in the process of mounting my electrical to the rear passenger side. Here are my thoughts:

- It *could* work to cut out the plastic panels for access, can’t say I thought of that. But all of your wiring would still be running behind the rest of the panel. So, unless you’re planning on cutting a gigantic hole in there to get at all of it, I’m thinking it would be a problem. Plus, you’d still have to cover that hole with something, for safety. Certainly possible... Additionally, my components wouldn’t fit behind the panel. Will yours?

- My plan involves attaching a plywood panel with plus nuts to the van side wall then constructing a “box” to fit over the whole thing. It will have access from the side and possibly the top. If possible, I may make the whole darn box easily removable.

I’ve attached a photo to show the walls absent the trim. Hope it helps.

Good luck, keep us informed!
Attached Thumbnails
CB728D7D-6915-42AF-960A-FEF893C825D8.jpg  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

Post Install location follow up

Otter, Thanks for the response and the picture. I was hoping for more room on the passenger side between the barn door and the wheel tub, but it is pretty small and the seatbelts are in there as well. My hope was to remove the panels, attach all the bits and wiring to the plywood wood (and run wiring) and then re-attach the panels (assuming I might have to make some cuts etc to let wiring flow through). Not having removed the panels yet myself, I'm flying blind obviously.

I was wondering if you might be able to attach a pic that shows the driver's side more towards the front of the van from where your first pic begins. Behind the wheel tub on the driver's side is a no-go since the rear ac is located there. I may have to look at what I can do on the passenger side behind the wheel tub since I have the extended body 15-passenge van.

Appreciate your time and hope you can attach one more pic of the driver's side. I will keep this post updated as I move forward. Thanks!!
fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Install location for charge controller and fuses in e-series walls

Crazy idea but a battery box on the frame rail with a remote display and the solar controler in a sealed box. ?

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote