Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #11

I think that this is the first topic that I have no idea what anyone is talking about!

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #12

Don't feel all alone in that area Saline.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #13

I am interested in the 1xRTT comment, because the description of the Kyocera KR1 EVDO router specifically states it is compatible with 1xRTT. Do you have direct experience with this specific router? (http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/264/63/) Also, the poster that has this router, have you had any known issues with 1xRTT or are you always in 1xEVDO coverage?

As a little side topic this is a very cool option/addition to the Kyocera KR1 for real-time GPS tracking via Google Earth. (http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/1987/64/)
VANZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
I think that this is the first topic that I have no idea what anyone is talking about!
That's why I save these posts for later translation.

And I'm an IT geek.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
i'll try to translate...

Say you want to go out camping in the wilderness but still have access to the internet so you can upload photos to sportsmobileforum.com so that the rest of us poor schmucks who didn't get to go camping can enjoy the experience vicariously right here on the net.

There are several ways to get your internet access in the remote parts of the country but the most common is with a "data card" you plug into the side of your laptop that has a radio in it that accesses the cellular phone network of your preference. Typically you can buy these cards for $40 or $50 from the cellphone companies and then pay for a "data plan" maybe $50, $75, $99 a month, something like that. You plug in the card, log in, and it's like you're still sitting at home, wired into the net at full speed.

One common technology behind these cards is called EVDO. Nevermind what it stands for, it represents high-speed mobile internet access. There's a lower-speed data technology called 1xRTT that's more common in the sticks because it's cheaper for the cellphone companies to deploy. It's slower but it's better than nothing if it's all you can get.

The problem with high-speed internet access is that the cellphone companies only think that businessmen who live in-town near a starbucks are going to want it. They didn't think about those of us out in the boonies in our SMBs. So they didn't extend their EVDO data network out into the desert.

So we are discussing solutions to amplify the signal from the cellphone towers so that we can get the high speed data out in the wilderness. There's a number of techniques and various products that do this.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #16
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Sorry Saline,
THanks LowRacer for explaining..

I'm usually a mavrick on gadgets..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #17

Thanks Lowracer, i'm begining to see the light!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #18

Garage
I am interested in having internet access in my van, too. Last year I looked into the Starband dish type of setup, but never did it. I wish I knew what you guys are talking about, but I am not familiar with the equipment or the terms used. I encourage someone knowledgeable to post a primer for novices here on the forum.. I'm a quick learn, but just don't know about the current technology. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #19

I use my 3G windows mobile phone as a mobile router, using an application called WMWifiRouter, which establishes an ad-hoc network that can be fed Internet access pretty much anywhere I can get cellular coverage w/ ATT.

I also have an antenna booster in the van which helps as well.

It's ok for going down the road, but obviously no use in the boonies.

The guys who make the raysat in motion dish that I have for satellite tv also make a data product, but last I heard it was $30k to license!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote