Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to jason_leaf_indymac
Internet access and cell booster

What are the options for hi-speed internet access while remote camping? Is there a way to boost cell signal? I know some phones have a jack that you can plug in a higher powered antenna but my blackberry doesnt have this.

Thanks!

jason_leaf_indymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

Garage
I'm thinking about at system from them:

http://stores.ebay.com/J2-Communcations
Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #3

Try a Kyocera KR1 mobile router in your SMB, coupled with the Kyocera KPC650 PC card tied into Verizon's Broadband Access system along with a SmoothTalker signal booster box. This mix results in high-speed wireless access via cellular technology virtually anywhere, with typical download speeds of 300 KBPS to 500 KBPS, sometimes approaching 700 KBPS.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestead
Try a Kyocera KR1 mobile router in your SMB, coupled with the company's KPC650 PC card tied into Verizon's Broadband Access system along with a SmoothTalker signal booster box. This mix results in high-speed wireless access via cellular technology virtually anywhere, with typical download speeds of 300 KBPS to 500 KBPS, sometimes approaching 700 KBPS.
I assume this only works in areas with a strong cell signal? If so, anyone know of the best way to boost a cell signal...if this requries buying a certain cell phone I would be open to that. For the price and size of the satellite systems this sounds like a great option.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #5

The SmoothTalker box is the amplifier for getting your cell phone internet access in areas of weak signal. This setup uses a Verizon cell phone. I'd ask Verizon which cell phone they think is best at picking up weak signals solo. Coupling that with SmoothTalker should get you what you want. This setup is for a laptop, but maybe you want work it somehow for a Blackberry.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

Same or similar to this? http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... MnLjA2cIPA Found the link here http://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/RV-int ... ccess.html
Good info here http://www.internetinmotion.net/
Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #7

Check out the article "RV Cybercafe" in the June 2007 issue of Trailer Life magazine. It talks about the setup I described to you, and I don't think it costs the $2000 that "in motion" wants. We're talking maybe $800, plus the Verizon unlimited monthly access fee of around $60.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #8

Internet access and cell booster

Sprint offers broadband speed via cell phone network at most major cities. In remote areas, as long as you can get a Sprint cell phone signal you can go online, although slower.

In the middle of the night I can get over 1500 kbps downstream and in the middle of the day I average around 700 kbps. It sure beats the 48 kbps I had with dialup AND I have it with me everywhere.

I'm sure other carriers offer similar service. Rate is around $60 per month.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
I've tried the Kyocera and TopGlobal Wireless EVDO to 802.11 Routers and they both perform pretty good for EVDO.

BUT..

The problem I was having was when when I camped out of the EVDO coverage area, those EVDO Routers would not do or autoswitch to RxTT mode which is the other mode both the Sprint and Verizon Data Cards go into (max 250-300ms) if EVDO coverage is not available.

RxTT is usually the datacard mode you would get when camped out in the boonies with the Datacards within line of sight of cell towers; and when EVDO is not available.
So.. To make a long story short..
I have a low voltage notebook/tablet computer on in the Sporto that basically has the Verizon and Sprint Clients loaded and I use it in the internet sharing mode to re-share to a wireless 802.11 router/switch (Linksys)

Using that combination with the celluar amp and trucker antenna, this has let me surf the Net from various camping locations around SoCal.. Locations like Anza Borrego, Mojave (Afton), and Sequoia (Lake Isabella Area), and Mammoth.. in the RxTT mode where EVDO is not available..

Evdo just doesnt work everywhere outside the city but you'd be surprised that RxTT is available..

If anyone uses those EVDO Routers and have seemless success roaming and auto switching to RxTT from EVDO, let us know!
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Update:

I found a new device on the market that lets you connect a EVDO usb device or a cell phone with usb compability (See phone compatibility list).

Bascially similar to the Kyocera, Dlink EVDO Routers but adds the extension of adding EVDO USB devices..

Check it out at:
http://item.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA ... MILAR_LINK

Here is another link: http://www.evdoinfo.com/component/optio ... temid,115/

Why another EVDO Router device? Well, this one is tiny, and let's you use batteries also with your EVDO usb device.

Haven't got one yet but I'm planning to use it as a repeater for out in the boonies...

I'll stick it in NEMA box with the antennas (Both EVDO, and Wi-FI) Stick a small solar panel on top of the box, aim the antenna's, one to camp, and the other to the cell tower and light up the campsite with WI-FI internet access..

Why not just use your phone or use your regular EVDO Card for internet access? I've been to places where you can't park the Sporto just right to pick up the cell tower signal..
I did find it easier to hike or bike to a higher elevation to get a line of sight for a Cell Signal..

I'll give an update on how well it tests out.. quite a few folks on the evdoforums are talking about it..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote