Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That inverter looks good, and certainly a good price point (I saw it on Amazon for $187.ish)

I paid just at $251 which I know is more than I could have found on the 'net but in order to foster good customer relations the difference along with local immediate warranty support was key in my purchase decision.

I don't know and didn't ask what a walk-in customer would pay for the same unit but they send so much work my way I believe I'll come out okay.

I hope to have a clear day soon to complete assembling and putting my inverter to use.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #22

Excellent

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #23
JWA

Okay so back at this again, the actual real-world need for all this is pretty much non-existent but that won't have me abandoning this one bit. My "rig" consists of the inverter mounted on a HDPE "board" fuse, wiring and Anderson PowerPole SB175 connector that feeds the 10' 1/0 cables with jumper clamps.

Earlier on it was suggested an auxiliary battery holder/case might be a good way to go, I'd like to explore that with your help here. First question is where might I find the OEM parts for that OR is there a "better" device available? Given its importance and under-body installed location price again is not the deciding factor.

Labor for that installation would be DIY---I've become a driveway expert on terminating large cables.

As for an ACR that would be relative simple in operation what's the recommended brand and type? I assume Blue Sea would have something but I'm open to something robust and long-lived.

Thanks guys---I really appreciate the patience and sharing what cha know!
Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #24

I once pulled parts at a pick and pull from a totaled Comcast service van. Had a simple inverter setup in the cargo area with a single deep cycle battery in a box, the inverter, a power lead coming from the engine, and a ground lead (that I think went to chassis, I forget). I assume it had an isolator in the engine compartment but I didn’t check.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #25
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I once pulled parts at a pick and pull from a totaled Comcast service van. Had a simple inverter setup in the cargo area with a single deep cycle battery in a box, the inverter, a power lead coming from the engine, and a ground lead (that I think went to chassis, I forget). I assume it had an isolator in the engine compartment but I didn’t check.
My days wandering salvage yards, looking/crawling under vehicles is long past me--both in ability and desire.

I'm guessing your battery proper was under the van, not in the cargo area?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #26

Inverters & Battery Life Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
My days wandering salvage yards, looking/crawling under vehicles is long past me--both in ability and desire.

I'm guessing your battery proper was under the van, not in the cargo area?

My point was to just share how the very basic and easy setup was installed. Not to suggest you go looking for a wrecked Comcast van [emoji3] The battery was in the cargo area under shelving in a battery box. Inverter was on a shelf. I assumed they plugged in their battery packs to recharge.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Okay so back at this again, the actual real-world need for all this is pretty much non-existent but that won't have me abandoning this one bit. My "rig" consists of the inverter mounted on a HDPE "board" fuse, wiring and Anderson PowerPole SB175 connector that feeds the 10' 1/0 cables with jumper clamps.

Earlier on it was suggested an auxiliary battery holder/case might be a good way to go, I'd like to explore that with your help here. First question is where might I find the OEM parts for that OR is there a "better" device available? Given its importance and under-body installed location price again is not the deciding factor.

Labor for that installation would be DIY---I've become a driveway expert on terminating large cables.

As for an ACR that would be relative simple in operation what's the recommended brand and type? I assume Blue Sea would have something but I'm open to something robust and long-lived.

Thanks guys---I really appreciate the patience and sharing what cha know!

Where is your starting battery? The reason I ask is my 6.0 has 2 batteries under the side barn doors on the frame. Yeah outside might have some issues with cold depending on the weather you frequent. Most gassers have the starting battery under the hood. If that area is open, I'd think you could get a Ford diesel battery box provided you don't need a big battery like a 4D or larger.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #28
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
My point was to just share how the very basic and easy setup was installed. Not to suggest you go looking for a wrecked Comcast van [emoji3] The battery was in the cargo area under shelving in a battery box. Inverter was on a shelf. I assumed they plugged in their battery packs to recharge.
Okay---I was kinda thinking that was your point BrianW----it's just much easier buying new . I've thought of placing an auxillary battery the cargo area---which is physically separated from the front seats but air can still flow throughout the entire van. As such I'd want a sealed and vented battery box I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Where is your starting battery? The reason I ask is my 6.0 has 2 batteries under the side barn doors on the frame. Yeah outside might have some issues with cold depending on the weather you frequent. Most gassers have the starting battery under the hood. If that area is open, I'd think you could get a Ford diesel battery box provided you don't need a big battery like a 4D or larger.
The starter battery is located in the engine bay just behind the right side headlight area. I'm not sure how I'd locate a second battery in that same area, had thought it would go under the rear floor about where the barn doors are located?

On the issue of that location^^^ apart from what I'm finding OEM is there a suitable alternative or more preferable to something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/38250967947...53.m1438.l2649?

TIA
Old 10-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #29

Garage
@JWA, I'm out of my element with much of this Electrical stuff, that's why I normally rely on the brain power here for advise & recommendations...BUT, came across this a couple weeks ago when i was exploring a trailer hitch mount which would incorporate one or two batteries - something easily removable that would come in handy when I needed/wanted additional battery capacity (have no more room under the van, and really prefer not to carve out space on the interior)

https://cuttingedgepower.com/product...BoCx8kQAvD_BwE
Old 10-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #30

A couple of other battery boxes. This would be comparable to ford oem mount
TorkLift HiddenPower Under-Vehicle Battery Mount with Battery Box

Or floor mount Flush Mount Battery Box

The Blue Sea ACR is great unit, and should have no problem with the loads you are expecting.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote