Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #21

Re: iPad GPS

The only iPad that has a true GPS chip in it is the ATT 3G version. The wifi only iPad's use wifi location or triangulate cell towers if connected through a cell broadband device.

ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #22

Great writeup Zeta. Thanks for taking the time to clear things up. Now if only Apple would come out with one with a USB plug so it would be easy to attach peripherals.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #23

Wow, this works, I turned off my wifi, turned on my 3G, and my gps program (SimpleNavi) showed my current location. I am not signed up for a data plan.
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #24

I'm using the 1.5 gigabyte Garmin USA iPad app. (the maps are built in, hence the large size) By pressing the 2x button in the corner, it blows up to full size. This app turns your iPad into a large Garmin. My dad loves it... it is easier to see from the driver's seat. Using stainless steel rod, we were able to make a snug mount that keeps it safe, even off road. Another advantage of the iPad gps app is that you can listen to music at the same time, using Apple's multitasking feature. Make sure the iPad is plugged into 12v power, because using the gps chip runs the iPad battery down quickly.

**You need to have an ATT iPad, or a Verizon iPad. They have the gps chip.**
(otherwise you need internet access to view your position)

Conner
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #25

We have been extremely pleased with our 3 G iPad and found that we are provided with better quality mapping as well as the other neat Apps that are available , i have purchased all of the above mentioned Apps and found them to be very useful to date and on a couple of occasions found the maps more accurate than our Kenwood / Garmin unit .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #26

Does anyone use their IPAd as a rear view or security monitor while camping?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #27

Very cool setups guys. How did i miss this thread until now? I use a 3g ATT 1st generation model, and though i don't do any serious offloading, mostly (paved) road trips, i find the ATT GPS chip to work great. I even have actual 3G service sometimes (pun intended). I'm addicted to all of the fun travel/GPS apps available, but the most reliable is the $50ish Copilot one. I find MotionX to be pretty great too, but didn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee forever. If i know where i am, i usually leave Google (Apple) maps up and keep my music player scrolled across the bottom. Here's my setup.
I have no use for my rearview mirror in my van since i'm used to driving an 18 wheeler and not having one, and there are usually reflectix inserts in my rear windows. I'm hoping to build a mount for mine in place (perhaps hanging from) my rear view mirror. I don't like the distraction of having it so low. I mounted a CD changer control on my rear view years ago and realized how much safer it was to glance over at eye level to adjust things, where your peripheral vision is still out of the windshield. MUCH safer, give it a try! Also, the iPad has a vast range of brightness (dim to bright) so you can adjust it for night driving and it wouldn't be a huge distraction.
It's the ultimate GPS unit in my opinion.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote