Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 03:27 AM   #11

Garage
Just now able to get back to this. Sounds like you have good info from two very knowledgeable guys.

You can plug the cigarette plug voltmeter into those to get a simple volt reading. Don't know if your dash one will work without the van ignition turned on, they often do though. If it is in the dash, likely it is connected to start battery. Simplest way would be to check voltage for differences, but a continuity test would work as well I believe.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #12

Garage
Thanks All,

I checked this AM. Batterie 1 is 6.06 and Baterrie 2 is 6.17. So I sees that the durst battery is a bit down but not sure if it worth to change it.

The interesting part is that the water level in the batteries were pretty low. I had to had half gallon in each. Hoping this will help. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage
If the plates were exposed (not fully covered with water) your batteries are most likely shot. You need to check the water level quite often to make sure the level is correct. They make watering systems for those type battery but most are going to AGM style batteries if they are difficult to reach. BTW they do make 6v AGM batteries that should closely match what you have now.

Here is another fairly good tutorial on batteries
https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...20a%20Battery?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #14

Garage
yeah, the water level was pretty low and I was able to see the plates. I refill and I am going to do a second test later.

Now, I did a quick check and the Batterie 1 is 6.26 and 6.40. But I understand it ca be called the "post charging" cuz I was driving it.

Future will tell me.

Thanks all for the references.

Bastien
Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #15

You need to get it on a shore power charger and bring the batteries up to a full charge. Driving around a little bit won't fully charge the batteries.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Shouldn't the liquid inside these batteries be tested for the proper strength of acid? Adding water would dilute the solution which from years past doing this tended to ruin the battery or at least not let it charge and hold a good value for any length of time.

I'm talking purely outta my hat but if the house batteries seem depleted and running the engine for 10-15 minutes seems to restore them for another eight hours just doesn't seem possible.

Could there be a monitor or switching device that's interrupting the battery supply, starting the engine somehow overcome the interruption and allowing the system to work properly for a time?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

Possible Drain?

Hi,
I have something we can’t find that drains my batteries. You may want to check that out, although I haven’t had much luck so far....still hoping we can find it.
Good luck to you with this issue,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote