Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
That button is supposed to force the separator to close if it's in the open position to help jump the starting batteries off the house system. These were common when SMB was using SurePower separators. You should be able to hear it open and close when you push it if the ignition is on. you should also hear it operate when you start the van and the alternator begins to charge the house system. One way to check if it's working when you have a dead or low starting battery (besides hearing it click) would be to turn on the ignition and see if your dome light gets brighter when you push the dash button. The jump start feature is more there to assist, so if your starting battery is dead dead, provided the separator is working correctly, it might take a few minutes of holding the button in to allow the starting battery to pull some power out of the house batteries and pump up the starting battery. You should also know if the alternator is or isn't charging your house batteries as you drive. At least you know the separator is connecting correctly even if the button isn't operating.

If someone replaced it with a Blue Sea, there is a very good chance they disconnected the dash button. I'd be looking for the separator and see if it's a model with a control switch on it. My Blue Sea has a full control switch on the separator itself. I also have a remote switch but many SMB's owners don't pay for that because it just duplicates what is already on the separator. All you have to do is turn the switch on top of the separator to jump and it binds the batteries together.

As far as jump starter batteries, I've used the Anti-Gravity brand and they are nice. Great little power supply as well. Their only problem is they are LiPo batteries which are subject to heat. I left mine in my black car over summer and the battery puffed enough to split the case. It still works but I make sure I keep it in a LiPo fire bag especially when charging and keep an eye on it.
DaveB thanks very much,I checked mine out and it is a Blue Sea 7620.I do hear the relay every morning when I fire it up and then after a little longer when I shut it down so that is working as normal.
Like you said I may have to hold the button down longer to get some juice to the starter battery.This is of course if it is even connected.

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #12

I’ve had good luck with a lithium jumper. I take it on every road trip in the van or car. Used it for myself a few times but generally to help others out.
My van is a 97 v10 and the jumper has started it just fine.
Would recommend buying the biggest one in your budget.
I also carry heavy duty cables in the van....
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Have always carried a set of extra long Jumpers, but that requires another vehicle. Last year I invested in the "NOCO Boost HD GB150 4000 Amp" just to make sure I had a way to start the van without having to rely on anyone or anything else.

Successfully used it 3 times now: twice on others vehicles (one was a Ford truck with a Diesel), and third time was just to quick charge our iPad using its USB port.
$$$ compared to most, but instills confidence and comfort knowing its on board.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looked at the length of cable I would need to be able to run from house to starter and figured it would be extra long as you stated.In a pinch obviously I could take out a house and get it closer or even exchange the two but for convenience sake a jumper would be quick and easy.
That Noko has good reviews but it definitely sure is pricey,and not sure I can justify the minimal use it would hopefully have.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
That Noko has good reviews but it definitely sure is pricey,and not sure I can justify the minimal use it would hopefully have.
IMHO if one of the NoCo units saved your bacon at least once when you're too remote to find anyone who can use jumper cables then the Li-Ion jump pack would have paid for itself. I'm okay with buying something similar and never using it---my Hummer jack and AOR adapter being a good example.

Mind you if I had a NoCo jump box I'd check it at least once a month to keep it topped off. I do that with my Milwaukee impact drivers carried on-board for road-side tire changes if a flat were to occur while away from the house.

I would and do carry jumper cables because where they're stowed its unused space so why not fill it with something potentially useful?

And as others say being able to help a fellow motorist with such an awesome tool carries the grateful-for-life appreciation AND you get to show off something cool you own.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Looked at the length of cable I would need to be able to run from house to starter and figured it would be extra long as you stated.In a pinch obviously I could take out a house and get it closer or even exchange the two but for convenience sake a jumper would be quick and easy.
Or you could just make the switch work, the 7620 can certainly be setup to jumpstart the from the house. If you know where the 7620 is located you should a small ground wire (black) and 5 other wires. The red wire would be the control wire. The switch should be attached to the switch if hooked up correctly. For the unit to work correctly in auto mode, it does not have to be hooked to anything. If there is a wire there I would trace it back to the switch. The other side of the switch will go to 12 volts, it should be fused. It could be as simple as the fuse is blown. The red wire tied to 12 volts will force the 7620 closed. Consequently, grounding it would force it open. The yellow wire is for a indicator on the state of the 7620. The other wires are for various forms of isolation.

The SPDT Remote Control Contura Switch - ON-OFF-ON BS #2146 is a better switch.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Or you could just make the switch work, the 7620 can certainly be setup to jumpstart the from the house. If you know where the 7620 is located you should a small ground wire (black) and 5 other wires. The red wire would be the control wire. The switch should be attached to the switch if hooked up correctly. For the unit to work correctly in auto mode, it does not have to be hooked to anything. If there is a wire there I would trace it back to the switch. The other side of the switch will go to 12 volts, it should be fused. It could be as simple as the fuse is blown. The red wire tied to 12 volts will force the 7620 closed. Consequently, grounding it would force it open. The yellow wire is for a indicator on the state of the 7620. The other wires are for various forms of isolation.

The SPDT Remote Control Contura Switch - ON-OFF-ON BS #2146 is a better switch.

-greg
Thanks Greg for this info,am hoping to get some time this weekend and take a look.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
DaveB thanks very much,I checked mine out and it is a Blue Sea 7620.I do hear the relay every morning when I fire it up and then after a little longer when I shut it down so that is working as normal.
Like you said I may have to hold the button down longer to get some juice to the starter battery.This is of course if it is even connected.

All you need to do is set the separator to the jump position. My guess is the dash button has been disconnected.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #18

For what it’s worth, the small “ starter box” gadget works very well on my Chevy E350 EB! I’ve had the same problem starting up, even with a trickle charger
setup.
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #19

Sounds like my Iphone! The battery expanded like a balloon, so this round I looked up “ how to fix” online.
and bought a new battery then did it myself.
You may be able to find out how the change the battery on utube, and figure out which one you need.
I always assume it’s worth a try!
ConnieKat
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #20

Sorry, that was: how to change the battery....