Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Jumpstarter or Cables

Well the van wouldn't start the other day when I left my running lights on and it was totally dead.
I have the button up on the upper console that is Sportsmobile installed and I was under the impression that by pushing that it would divert power from the house batteries to the engine, but that did not happen.
Not actually sure how that works and hope to figure that out at some point, but my question is if I had long enough cables I could have jumped it but was also considering looking at one of those mini jumper sets.
Any input from the wise!
I have the V10 which would need a good hit to get it going,but have very little knowleadge on these smaller jumpers.

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Last time I looked, Sportsmobile use those RV diode style “things” to connect the battery’s. (Kinda junk IMO). They are only good for the trickle charge, not jump start. So I’m sure if you left that switch on for a few hours you might have had enough juice in the starter battery. You’ll need a high amp relay / switched connection between the battery’s for a jump start.

As long as your house battery has the cranking amps, then yes long jumper cables would work. Those battery packs work well vehicles, just make sure you get a quality one that’s rated for the cranking amps your engine requires.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #3

Jumper for me! I had two of the same brand I bought on Amazon that they don't sell anymore each lasted about 3yrs. Both just stopped working suddenly. Worked great for V8s on a Tundra and 5.4 E350. Mostly used them to help other folks out though. I find them really handy way less hassle than cables. Just have to make sure they are charged! My replacement jumper that arrived last week for $50 so far so good. Helped a buddy out just the other day.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
Last time I looked, Sportsmobile use those RV diode style “things” to connect the battery’s. (Kinda junk IMO). They are only good for the trickle charge, not jump start. So I’m sure if you left that switch on for a few hours you might have had enough juice in the starter battery. You’ll need a high amp relay / switched connection between the battery’s for a jump start.

As long as your house battery has the cranking amps, then yes long jumper cables would work. Those battery packs work well vehicles, just make sure you get a quality one that’s rated for the cranking amps your engine requires.
This is what I was under the assumption is a push button that allows you to use the house batteries.It is not an On,Off switch though but a switch that I tried to hold down while trying to crank.
Attached Thumbnails
ABB4A63B-5DF8-4716-ADFF-55E23ED6F5D5.jpg  
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
Jumper for me! I had two of the same brand I bought on Amazon that they don't sell anymore each lasted about 3yrs. Both just stopped working suddenly. Worked great for V8s on a Tundra and 5.4 E350. Mostly used them to help other folks out though. I find them really handy way less hassle than cables. Just have to make sure they are charged! My replacement jumper that arrived last week for $50 so far so good. Helped a buddy out just the other day.
I am also thinking Jumper,but am concerned that it may need to be big dollars to get the cranking amps for the V10.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #6

I have that same button and it works for me every time. I believe through the Blue Sea isolator.
BOTH
I carry both cables and jump pack. Jump packs work great for me, but you have to check them occasionally. But good old fasion heavy duty, long jumper cables can't be beat.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Well the van wouldn't start the other day when I left my running lights on and it was totally dead.
I have the button up on the upper console that is Sportsmobile installed and I was under the impression that by pushing that it would divert power from the house batteries to the engine, but that did not happen.
Not actually sure how that works and hope to figure that out at some point, but my question is if I had long enough cables I could have jumped it but was also considering looking at one of those mini jumper sets.
Any input from the wise!
I have the V10 which would need a good hit to get it going,but have very little knowleadge on these smaller jumpers.
That button is supposed to force the separator to close if it's in the open position to help jump the starting batteries off the house system. These were common when SMB was using SurePower separators. You should be able to hear it open and close when you push it if the ignition is on. you should also hear it operate when you start the van and the alternator begins to charge the house system. One way to check if it's working when you have a dead or low starting battery (besides hearing it click) would be to turn on the ignition and see if your dome light gets brighter when you push the dash button. The jump start feature is more there to assist, so if your starting battery is dead dead, provided the separator is working correctly, it might take a few minutes of holding the button in to allow the starting battery to pull some power out of the house batteries and pump up the starting battery. You should also know if the alternator is or isn't charging your house batteries as you drive. At least you know the separator is connecting correctly even if the button isn't operating.

If someone replaced it with a Blue Sea, there is a very good chance they disconnected the dash button. I'd be looking for the separator and see if it's a model with a control switch on it. My Blue Sea has a full control switch on the separator itself. I also have a remote switch but many SMB's owners don't pay for that because it just duplicates what is already on the separator. All you have to do is turn the switch on top of the separator to jump and it binds the batteries together.

As far as jump starter batteries, I've used the Anti-Gravity brand and they are nice. Great little power supply as well. Their only problem is they are LiPo batteries which are subject to heat. I left mine in my black car over summer and the battery puffed enough to split the case. It still works but I make sure I keep it in a LiPo fire bag especially when charging and keep an eye on it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
... looking at one of those mini jumper sets.
Any input from the wise!

Don't carry them on a plane!

I was jump starting a motorcycle w/dead battery, just before heading to the airport, and accidentally left a set of those mini jumper cables in my carry on bag.

Of course, already running late, that triggered an x-ray alert and a bag search.

The TSA officer locates the offending item, irritated with me, holds them to up and asks "...you trying to start somethin'?"
Old 07-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #9

Garage
Have always carried a set of extra long Jumpers, but that requires another vehicle. Last year I invested in the "NOCO Boost HD GB150 4000 Amp" just to make sure I had a way to start the van without having to rely on anyone or anything else.

Successfully used it 3 times now: twice on others vehicles (one was a Ford truck with a Diesel), and third time was just to quick charge our iPad using its USB port.
$$$ compared to most, but instills confidence and comfort knowing its on board.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
I forgot to mention that at times I carry a cheap automotive 110AC-12v/50A battery charger. As long as the house batteries are at a reasonable level, my 2000w inverter does a good job starting others vehicles via the cheapo car charger.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote