Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

Keep getting locked out

I have a 2001 Ford e350 EB and I don’t believe this problem existed when I bought the van a few years ago but am not positive.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the first position all doors lock. I can tell you how many times I have been locked out because of this. I store two keys under the van now just because of this problem. I stop for gas and get out to fill up but then want the radio on While doing so. Then the key, door closes... locked out.

My passenger door power lock switch doesn’t work nor does the read door power lock switch. So I’m thinking there is maybe a bad relay or something else?

Some help figuring out this and where I need to start looking first would be great because this has been the biggest pain in my ass.

jcxstar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #2

For the radio, you coulld turn the key back, so only accessory power is active instead of ignition power. This should keep the doors from locking.

The switches that don't work are probably bad. They fail eventually from rain. Although sometimes the rear switch gets disconnected and the wires taped to prevent accidentally pressing the switch with cargo.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

Garage
do you have an alarm on the van?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Yes there is an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry.
Avail or atail or something like that.

I’ve debated at having it removed and having something new put in because there is only one key fob for it.
jcxstar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #5

I've had similar problems in the past, with the van randomly locking or unlocking the doors. I've come back to find the doors unlocked despite being positive I locked them prior to walking away. I too have an after market alarm system, but the problem started prior to installing the alarm, so I doubt it's the problem. This mostly happens when it's really cold out, and once it warms up the problem goes away. Currently, it's been working properly for about 6 months despite the cold weather. Others have suggested that the window directly above the module may be leaking, causing the module to short. I'm convinced the problem is in the keyless entry module, located on the drivers side, just behind the drivers seat. I'm keeping my eye out for another module everytime I go to a junkyard in search of other parts, but I have yet to find one. The electrical manual give some specific trouble shooting procedures, but when everything is working it's darn near impossible to fix. You might check that the plug is firmly inserted into the module as a loose connection may contribute to the problem, and that it's not wet. You could also just pull the fuse for the alarm to eliminate it as the problem. Meanwhile, I NEVER get out of the van without my keys in my pocket.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

AMEN to NEVER,EVER get out of the van without your keys
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Garage
It's probably your aftermarket alarm security system. Simultaneously pressing different fob buttons programs many different functions. One of them is to auto lock the vehicle at a certain interval. If you have the manual, there is a page showing all available system options the the buttons to engage or disengage the features. Or the whole issue can be similar programming within the stock Ford lock system.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

That's a feature on your keyless entry, you can almost certainly program it not to do that.

Here are their manuals: Avital - Guides and Manuals

Turn off anything related to auto-locking and carjack prevention.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxstar13 View Post

I’ve debated at having it removed and having something new put in because there is only one key fob for it.
You might be able to program it not to lock the doors. I have the same alarm in the van and my car. Probably the models or year produced makes a difference but some of them (like what's in my Chevy) are programmable. The car fob once was able to remote start it. Key Fobs were about 40 bucks if I remember but that was a few years back. The one in the van is just a basic model.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxstar13 View Post

Nearly every aftermarket alarm has up to 15 different programmable events, one being door lock actuation. If you can determine your make (brand) and model number the instruction manual should be available online.

I'm using a CrimeGuard 350i5 unit, no longer in production in that version. Easy, easy to install and program too; nothing fancy, just simple straight ahead alarm with a few great features.

I've not seen too many aftermarket alarm or remote start systems that don't create issues with the vehicle itself. The most important part is choosing an installer who knows their product and can/do service what the sell after your check has cleared.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote