Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2022, 05:39 PM   #1

key fob dead?

Yesterday I opened my 2001 Ford E250 with the remote button on the key fob as usual. When I went to close/lock it up, it would not lock or unlock with the key fob. I grabbed my spare fob and it worked fine.

Today I replaced the fob's CR2032 battery with a new one and it did not resolve the issue. I assume the fob itself may be dead, unless there is some programming required. Is there?

If I need to replace the entire fob, they seem to be readily available on Amazon and elsewhere. If I do this, how do you program the new fob?

Thanks for any info.

YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I believe I've seen more than few YouTube videos demonstrating this procedure.

Undoubtedly someone here has done this successfully so perhaps they'll be along any moment now.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #3

Once you get your new fob, you'll want to grab all the fobs you want to program and run this sequence...

key off and on 8x landing in the on position
your locks will lock and unlock
use each fob to lock/unlock doors
after the last fob, you're done and can remove the key from ignition
Old 01-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the old fob with new battery working using the procedure described by mikracer above.

Here's the link to the YouTube video describing the procedure: https://youtu.be/zDXaavU3H1I

Since this is the first time I've replaced this battery, the old key fob battery has apparently lasted over 20 years!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #5

If reprogramming does not work and you have to purchase a new fob, you have a choice of getting one from a Ford service center or getting a generic one. If you get a generic on, you can have a locksmith program it and cut the key (assuming it has a key). As others have pointed out there are or maybe methods that you can find online for programing these fobs. I recently had a security system fob fail. Replacing the battery and attempts to reprogram it did not work. A new fob purchased online was easily reprogrammed, using the instructions that came with the fob. I had also gotten the same programming instructions from the technician that had originally installed the security system.
KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote