Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

LCD TV not working in COLD

So I got a new 17" PYLE widescreen LCD tv this summer. Worked great for several months. Turned it on for the first time this weekend (winter camping and we wanted to play some Guitar Hero ;-) and the screen is almost solid black, with just some very faint images.

According to the manual the screen will get 'dark and slow' below 10 degrees C, and that this is normal, and it will return to normal operation when warmed up. Well that sucks! Isn't 10 Celcius about 50 Fahrenheit? Does that mean I have to go to AZ or FL to play guitar hero in the winter?

To make it worse I heated the van to a nice tropical 75 degrees for several hours, and the TV has yet to return to a normal picture. Anyone else seen this? More importantly, does anyone have an LCD that does NOT have problems in the cold?

Is the PYLE TV just a pile? Any good recommendations on 17" widescreen/flip/rotate TV's? I'm bummed. I was loving this setup and now it looks like I gotta go spend more $. Thanks in advance...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Gary I don't know about the screen....hope it comes around. Just wonder, have you ever done an amp check on what one of those pull. I was told about 10 amps and that freaked me out. The little 10" TV I have pulls less than 3 amps and thats counting the DVD player. I'm looking for a nice monitor but want something that won't suck my batteries dry. If they can't take the cold I want to know. The TV I have now says it doesn't like high heat; just the opposite.

Thanks for the info.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks for posting this. I was out yesterday and was debating on buying a pyle 14" TFT but passed because i know i could find it cheaper. I also camp in the cold and this would be an issue.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

Well PYLE finally got back to me after 3 days. Told me it needed a replacement bulb, which they'll do under warranty. I just have to ship it to Brooklyn. Will let you all know how it goes. Glad they're repairing it under warranty, but not happy it only lasted a few months.

DaveB I have no idea how many AMPS it draws (and no info in the manual). But we've been able to run it indefinitely while driving down the road, along with the fridge, and Xbox (through inverter).

Typically whenever we get where we're going I recharge with a Honda generator, so never pay too much attention to usage.

Gary