Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Re: LED awning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
That's pretty neat Herb! Thanks for sharing. I should also report that my dimmer switch for my permanent install came in and doesn't work. It doesn't do anything at all. It is a screwed together housing so I'm going to take it apart and see if a wire is loose before I return it.
Well the dimmer was wired backwards. Quick fix with solder. Old post I know, but better updated than someone else guessing if it was ever solved.

Long term update. I've used this LED strip for about 6 months now. Conclusion: It is shite. I set it up night before last and due to a short somewhere the wiring began to melt. No fuse blown or fires started before I got it turned off and unplugged. I think the problem is that it's just too much movement for the wires and connectors out at the end of the awning. These LEDs come with super small guage wire and they're just not very durable. I'm going to replace my light strip and attempt to mount it to the bottom of the awning frame on the van side, not the outer-edge as I did first. This should eliminate any wiring which has to be moved/wrapped/stowed, etc. I'm hoping I can even make it where if I need the light strip without the awning I can just unzip the awning and have the light strip exposed. Hopefully I can also work out a proper switch without bothering my other outside light, which I have never properly done. So, sorry for the long post, but more to come on this. I'm entirely unsatisfied, my usual conclusion when I nearly set my van on fire.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote