Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #11

Garage
We may be able to help here a bit as well:

If you chose to not upgrade your headlights or just want more light, we offer the new Diode Dynamics SS6 street legal light bars that work great for aux driving or fog lights. They have interchangeable lenses as well with clear driving, clear fog, amber driving and amber fog options available. The driving beams (clear driving shown) are pretty well focused for distance and the wide lenses are very broad (amber wide shown). The flexibility is a strength with these for sure.

Purchase Link:
vantageoptics

Our hearts will always follow Baja Designs for offroad lighting, but for street legal DOT use there are only a couple choices available.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
6in_drivingpattern_2.jpg   stage_series_6_inch_1_1.jpg   20180131_164900.jpg   20180131_183843.jpg   20180228_170630.jpg  

20180228_202338.jpg   20180226_171828.jpg   20180226_185230.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #12

So far, I started with rigid industries copy led 5x7 headlights, they started off bright, however they seem to have dimmed over the past 8 months. I swapped to a diy h1 35w projector and they are even brighter than when the copy led lights were new. They also do not get covered up in snow. I would have to stop every 15 min to clear snow off the led lights. I supplemented the headlights with a set of rigid industries sae fog lights, really bright, great beam pattern and after 8 months, I have moisture and led failure in one. Not what I was hoping for with 200+ dollar lights. I also have a set of rigid d2 driving pods which have been installed 8 months, they too have moisture and flicker when lit. 6 months ago I added a 30" rigid light bar, super bright and hoping not to have issues with water in 2 months. I'm thinking of keeping the projector retrofits, rigid sae fogs and adding some his lightforce lights as long range lighting.

Overall suggestion, start with a hid projector retrofit add a set of rigid sae fog lights and hope to not need their warranty.

Currently have 2 lights off for warranty work

Old 03-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsBC View Post
So far, I started with rigid industries copy led 5x7 headlights, they started off bright, however they seem to have dimmed over the past 8 months. I swapped to a diy h1 35w projector and they are even brighter than when the copy led lights were new. They also do not get covered up in snow. I would have to stop every 15 min to clear snow off the led lights. I supplemented the headlights with a set of rigid industries sae fog lights, really bright, great beam pattern and after 8 months, I have moisture and led failure in one. Not what I was hoping for with 200+ dollar lights. I also have a set of rigid d2 driving pods which have been installed 8 months, they too have moisture and flicker when lit. 6 months ago I added a 30" rigid light bar, super bright and hoping not to have issues with water in 2 months. I'm thinking of keeping the projector retrofits, rigid sae fogs and adding some his lightforce lights as long range lighting.

Overall suggestion, start with a hid projector retrofit add a set of rigid sae fog lights and hope to not need their warranty.

Currently have 2 lights off for warranty work

Great license plate!!
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #14

I bought a 50" curved 'brand x' Chinese made light bar on my Van. I haven't used the light bar much so far, but when I have, I like it. Up nice and high. I also bought a couple 'brand x' 4x4 cube lights for my Samurai, and installed those at the A pillars, near the side view mirrors.

The cubes put out less light than I would have expected, the beam quality isn't so good, either. When I took a closer look, I noticed the little yellow LED chips aren't very well centered (with respect to the parabolic reflector) on a third of the pods. It's a manufacturing issue. I paid $26ea for the cubes <shugs shoulders>. I should have looked closer, but I'd say that is what you need to look for, chip centering. Too soon to tell if either are really high quality water tight.

At an offroad show a few weeks ago, I stopped by the Rigid booth (drool) seem to be very well made, and priced like it, too. I like the fact they are American made in Arizona I think. Something that caught my eye was Rigid's new GPS controlled beam pattern option, where the light bar reconfigures itself to illuminate the inside of a curve w/a flood beam, hands free, it senses when your rig is turning. Also flood at low speed, spot at higher speeds, with several combinations of flood and spot depending on how you program it (spot for higher speeds, when you want light way out in front, and flood when you are crawling along) A very innovative feature to say the least. Do I need another electronics microprocessor to eventually go bad? I'm not sure I do, but it is very cool.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #15

I've run a few inexpensive LED's from Amazon. A 50in light bar was mounted on a passenger boat and the results were far less than spectacular, but then again, I've seen very few lights that will show logs at night. At the same time I ordered several cube lights to mount on different pieces of construction equipment for close by scene lighting and they worked just fine. I also mounted a 40in on the front of my company truck to light up deer on the side of the road and it worked just fine. Lastly, I mounted a couple of the cube lights on the rear bumper of my van for back-up lights and they work great for that. After about a year, one of them has the paint peeling off, but as inexpensive as they were, I'm still happy. On un-expected issue though, is that the inexpensive Chineese versions are very noisy. That's to say, when turned on, they emit RF noise heard in any radio. When lit, they will wipe out any reception in my ham or CB radios by broadcasting broad band noise. Since I only use the cheap ones in reverse though, it's mostly a non issue. All in all, I think they are worth what you pay for them.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
We may be able to help here a bit as well:

If you chose to not upgrade your headlights or just want more light, we offer the new Diode Dynamics SS6 street legal light bars that work great for aux driving or fog lights. They have interchangeable lenses as well with clear driving, clear fog, amber driving and amber fog options available. The driving beams (clear driving shown) are pretty well focused for distance and the wide lenses are very broad (amber wide shown). The flexibility is a strength with these for sure.

Purchase Link:
vantageoptics

Our hearts will always follow Baja Designs for offroad lighting, but for street legal DOT use there are only a couple choices available.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics@gmail.com
Those look awesome! I like the flexibility of the different lenses!
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Bus View Post
Those look awesome! I like the flexibility of the different lenses!
They are very nice units for sure. Also note these Stage Series bars from Diode Dynamics are available in lengths up to 50" as well for those not-so-street legal lighting needs!

vantageoptics

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics@gmail.com
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #18

I've had great luck with the knock of stuff. Beam pattern may not be as perfect as the Rigid, but my 20" quad row bar is really all the light I need for the dark highways of northern New Mexico.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #19

I have rigid fog lights in aluminess bumper. I don't have experience with alternatives, but they are super helpful on dark highways in addition to the standard headlights on our Ford e350. Wide beams illuminate roadsides and the animals that may come on e 3the road
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #20

Garage
I just ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I won't ever use it on public roads, so I'm not too worried about beam pattern, but it's a cheap way to find out if I want to invest in something nicer.

I do plan on getting some amber lights that are DOT approved for use in rain, snow, etc.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote