Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Site Team

LED light bars

I'm starting to look at some small LED light bars for a couple of my vehicles (there are some damn dark, country roads out in New Mexico).

As much as I would like a Rigid, VisionX, or Baja Designs light bar, I'm not sure I can justify that kind of coin, even though I'm only looking 10" - 12" light bars. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't want some POS light bar either, where half the (non-replaceable) bulbs will be toast after six months.

Anyone have good experiences with any "value" light bars?

Herb

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #2

Garage
G'day.

Try Online-led-store.

Great product, reasonable price, same day shipping.

Have a look, see what you think.

Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

arctictraveller got a cheap one last fall he's been happy with.. but I don't know the brand..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
There is a difference in quality and light, but for the money, why not.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

I've had experience with a few of the "Amazon special" light bars (I had a 52", a friend has a 10" on his motorcycle, and another friend has a 20" on his RZR) and will agree that the light output is not equivalent to something like a Rigid, Baja Designs, etc.... without scientific measurements I would say that you get more than 1/2 of the light output, but at ~1/10 the price, so the value is there if you are looking to have good spread/fill without trying to reach a mile ahead of you. I'm sure I'll buy another cheapy for the front of the van at some point, but probably a curved bar in the 20"-30" range next time. I don't recall the "brand name" of the bars we bought since we just bought the cheapest ones that had good/5star reviews on Amazon at the time.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Anyone have firsthand experience with the LED lightbars from SuperBright LEDs?

Not a bad price, some use CREE LEDs, and supposedly a Lifetime Warranty. It would give me a much better feeling buying from SuperBright rather than some eBay seller.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...?view=standard

Herb
Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Garage
I have a Morimoto XTorch 27" bar in my bumper now and it seems nice. They have a good warranty and TRS is a very respected retailer in the automotive lighting business.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...-lighting.html

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
best front.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #8

Garage
3 main differences between cheap and expensive light bars.

1) Water intrusion. The 50" light bar for $125 will not last long due to poor sealing. Without a warranty the IP ratings are meaningless.

2) Coating/paint. Most if not all light bars are made of aluminum. If it's not coated well the exterior will corrode. Warranty, warranty, warranty.

3) Lumens. I put this 3rd because in most cases the extra output of a Rigid or Baja won't make that much difference. We're not going 100+ miles an hour ( Ramsey not included :-)

Buy from a reputable reseller that will honor a warranty. SuperBrightLeds is a good reseller.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #9

Garage
Give Online LED Store ago.

Have a look. Some great products.

I have a Traffic Bar, offroad Lights & a PA Siren system.

There terrific.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #10

I got mine from this guy Oulawled, Ultimate Sources of Your Lighting Needs at a Southern Calif desert race. The 40in bar was about 1/3 the price of a rigid, the quality seems very good and the light output is simply stupid bright. (I would never use one on the road, but street signs will reflect back and blind you) I got the spot model but there is no way anyone could outdrive the available light going under 90mph. If I get another, it will be a 100% flood. In another life I was a manufacturing engineer and began to notice that the aluminum extrusion was exactly the same on lots of even more inexpensive lights, probably out of the same die. My guess is that they all are manufactureed at one plant in China and them privately labeled for individual resellers. I have not taken mine apart to inspect the quality inside but so far it's been flawless after hundreds of miles of off road and thousands on road. I would not hesitate to try one like this Robot Check

For the price of one Rigid, you could buy 20 of these. If it craps out in a year, it takes about two minutes to change out. The extrusion and mounting brackets are the exact same ones I paid a lot more for. I think it's certainly worth a try....
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote