Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #21

Jeremiah,

I have to admit I love your use of the Apple Juice collars to retain your LED boards. Making use of something that would go to a landfill is recycling at it's best!!

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #22

Jage,

I like your mounting clips, especially the recycled apple juice bottle collar clips.

John
Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #23

John,
Thanks so much for posting this along with the part numbers.

The only shopping I did this Thanksgiving weekend was to buy myself these LEDs.

I just placed my order exactly like yours except for the porch light I got the warm white.

Jage- I guess I need to go to Costco next but I don't really like apple juice. Hey Jage, want to mail a little gift to me?

Thanks again John.

Steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #24

I had already converted my spots with LED bulbs, although since I did that they've got a much better selection, and more light, so I might upgrade. Thanks. I also installed some red LEDs for preserving night vision (I just mounted some red and white LEDs in a RadioShack project box with a switch and wired them to the fluorescent lights in the penthouse top using some T splices).

I'm now a fan of battery powered LED lights; they use so little power I finally realized I didn't have to go to all the trouble of wiring, I could just recharge the batteries occasionally.

My lastest find is this task light:

http://intellitecproducts.com/ritelite/lpl616xl.html

You can turn it around so that it faces the other direction on the clip, and it's real handy to clamp in the rails that hold the penthouse. The head swivels too. I got mine at Costco, but I've seen them on eBay. I've also got some of their puck lights, which are pretty handy too.

Rob
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #25

Re: LED Lighting Conversion

Just put some LED's in the rear inside light over the rear door like others and put some 24 led bulbs in the two swivel reading lights.

Just to note a problem I found, the front swivel light worked fine, but the rear one would not work with the LED bulb. I finally pulled my volt meter out to check the voltage to find the rear swivel reading light was wired with the "-" in the center. The LED didn't like that. Pulled it off and did a quick re-wire to put "+" in the center like the other light and now everything is fine.

Love the LED's.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #26

We went to the Miami Boat Show last week and saw several displays for LED lights. Here are a few of the ones that have web sites. They are mostly geared to cruising sailboats, but much of the equipment would work on vans also.

https://kimberlitemanufacturing.com/ind ... c5457c1301

http://sailorssolutions.com/?page=Produ ... tem=SEN10W

http://cruisingsolutions.com/ledlights.asp

They also have wind chargers, charge controllers, tank monitors, and satellite communications.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Thanks for the link Steve. It shows the difference LED's can make. (.22 amps using an LED group compared to 1 to 1.5 amps that a typical fluorescent light pulls) They might not be as bright (Lumens) as a Fluorescent light watt per watt but what a difference in the ammount they pull.

Cabin Light G-4
10 Power LED (warm white) side-pin cluster

2.7 watt (0.22amps @ 12vDC)
These are recommended for the Scandvik and Perko single and two bulb dome light fixtures with G4 bulbs, and with Bayonet fixtures with our BA15d adapter. Reverse polarity protected. Current Control Circuitry 8-30 volts DC
Lumens 120
Beam Angle 120 degrees
Dimensions 32mm x 8.5mm (+ pins)

$30.00 each

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #28

Another option for LED replacement lights.

For those of you that wanted to do this upgrade but didn't think you could be as creative as John or Jage in the mounting area. I found a similar solution that does not need special mounting at http://www.ledlight.com

Left to Right
Part No 74545 S25 12 SMT Forward Firing LED light
Part No 36754 S25 12 SMT Long Stem LED light
Part No 63824 S25 12 SMT Side Firing LED Light

The http://www.ledlight.com/s25-12-smt-forw ... light.aspx is a perfect replacement for the reading lights. It comes in standard led super white, but also a warm white bulb also.

The http://www.ledlight.com/s25-12-smt-long ... light.aspx is the same but on a longer stem. The lights will come out almost to the end of the reading light. This causes the viewing angle to be larger. The regular length is closest to what the incandescent bulb throws off.

For the outside light they have http://www.ledlight.com/s25-12-smt-side ... light.aspx It comes in a zero or 90 degree offset, so you need to check your existing fixture, I would suspect that they are the same, the 90 degree offset is what work on my van.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Thanks for the info on the LED replacements

Hooked up the LED bulbs on the outside camp light. Started with one but it really needed two.
Pretty bright but I might adjust it to project more towards the side cargo door. No worry's if I forget to turn it off at night, draws alot less Amps. I'm thinking of adding a motion sensor mode switch.

Also did the inside lights: I really like the Warm LED versions for the front cabin, and the bright LED versions for the back "kitchen" area..

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #30

Oooh, and I've got some LED boards, I could do the double on the outside lite. Did you just wire them together? Keep the socket or hardwire?

My little apple-plastic men have jumped out of place on occasion.