Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Battery life cycle by definition to the manufacturers is usually 80% of original capacity. The get to that number basically using a 50% discharge cycle. So when you add in actual use and environmental factors (most of those numbers are derived in a lab environment) it can give you a wide range.

Lets say are 4D started 200 Ahr capacity

The biggest factor would be your usage model. Take a guy that uses minimal lighting, occasional water pump, and run the refrigerator. Maybe he then gets up and drives or has solar to replace some of that spent energy.

I would say people that get 8 to 10 years have a small electrical foot print.

-greg
What you've described sounds like our battery usage. I'll know more once we start going on more trips.

Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Garage
Mine lasted from '07 to March of '20. I replaced it the day lockdown went into effect in MD.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

Greg, that's a great explanation of battery life, thanks. You describe me to a tee. My vans main use is a Baja winter home. Plenty of solar, no heater, I even removed the inverter for more water storage. I have a DC frig but my big user is my touch screen radio for Sirius. I need to get a simple radio for stationary use. Sounds like I'll be good for many years.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #14

I've got two Lifeline Group 31XT batteries on my rig. They were installed in 2016 and still going strong. They are 125 AH each and I run 200 AMP of solar with a blue sea ACR with a high voltage alternator. So far so good, but likely need to take a closer look at the typical Voltage and what how it reacts on trips.

Just like everything else, especially outdoor/camper related, it doesn't surprise me they are backlogged.
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #15

I spent hours calling around and finally located one. I bought it on a Friday and it is arriving on Wednesday (today) Shipping from AZ to CA. Pretty quick and only $120 b/c I had it shipped to shop where van is. Batt was $650 but then there was a 5% off deal. I tried 10 places and this was the only one who had the one I needed.....GPL-4DL. Talked to Adam. Good guy. Very helpful at N. Arizona Wind and Solar. Also, called Lifeline and verified that this is one of there dealers, and they are. A big one. Totally legit. Battery is no more than 3 months old. Good luck.

https://www.solar-electric.com/marine-rv.html
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

I've never had a Lifeline last more than 5 years but probably because I don't have solar. Need to get that. God I hope you're not buying from Coastal Battery. Never dealt with such an arrogant ______! Dude literally wouldn't give me my core charge when I brought back my old battery the day after I picked up the new one from him because I didn't have the receipt for the new one. And he totally recognized me! Whatever.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #17

I was getting ready to replace the Lifeline 4D in my 2018 build with about 120 nights on it. Was getting to the point where we were having trouble running the microwave in the morning on a weekend trip. None of the RV places in NorCal had one in stock, so I called Lifeline. Lifeline said 6-8 weeks minimum, but then also asked me if I had conditioned the battery at all. I didn't know what this was so I said no, and he put me in contact with a distributor who would do it for me. I did a quick google search, and found that the inverter/charger SMB installed has a conditioning profile build for that Lifeline battery. It basically over charges the battery a bit. I did it myself, and it seems to have had a pretty big positive impact. I've had no issues the past two trips, and I'll I know for sure after my upcoming 8 day trip.

Worth a try before replacing unless you know your battery is done for sure.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #18

My lifeline 4D is about done. Holds little charge and I estimate it to be at about 30-40% capacity.

I decided to DIY a lithium 120AH pack to keep inside the van and just put a 100AH AGM under the van as a backup starting battery that will charge from the alternator mostly and be available should the lithium be drained.

Initial test run of my lithium pack which weighs 35 lbs was amazing. Ran my fridge for 5 days straight in hot temps with no charging and still had a few amp hours left.

Note that Lithium is not a direct drop in replacement for the AGM typically because it has different charging requirements. You don't want to expose it directly to your alternator like an AGM either. It will pull massive charging amps if you let it. You also can't charge lithium in freezing temps or you will ruin it.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whwv View Post
Lifeline said 6-8 weeks minimum, but then also asked me if I had conditioned the battery at all.
No doubt he was talking about an equalizing charge, that as you said, is charging at a higher than normal voltage. This causes the battery to boil the electrolite a bit and reduces the stratification that naturally occurs. My solar controller has this automatic feature built in and may be contributing to the fact that my cheap Costco golf cart batteries are still working like new after three years.

I also have a Nanopulser connected to them. This is a device that applys a high frequency pulse to the batterys that helps prevent sulfation, and many newer chargers come with this feature built in. I had the same device connected to the large battery bank in my boat (12 golf carts) and when I sold the boat the batteries were approaching 10 years, but were still able to supply all the normal loads over night, but not for a couple days like before.

12V Battery | Nanopulser
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
No doubt he was talking about an equalizing charge, that as you said, is charging at a higher than normal voltage. This causes the battery to boil the electrolite a bit and reduces the stratification that naturally occurs. My solar controller has this automatic feature built in and may be contributing to the fact that my cheap Costco golf cart batteries are still working like new after three years.

I also have a Nanopulser connected to them. This is a device that applys a high frequency pulse to the batterys that helps prevent sulfation, and many newer chargers come with this feature built in. I had the same device connected to the large battery bank in my boat (12 golf carts) and when I sold the boat the batteries were approaching 10 years, but were still able to supply all the normal loads over night, but not for a couple days like before.

12V Battery | Nanopulser
Interesting, reading more on that Nanopulser. Thanks!
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote