Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #1

Garage
Lifeline battery

My Lifeline battery is done, lasted a little over 4 years, called last month to order new one from a supplier in Costa Mesa, Ca only to be informed that they have none in stock and are taking pre orders on the 4D . Called again today and now maybe as long as 6 weeks out. Asked for an alternative but was told that they are also back ordered and even farther out on delivery. Any one else experienced this ?

ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Not really an answer to your question but try these guys:
https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post175308
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

Garage
I talked to Jason at Lifeline, they have approximately 1800 4D’s on back order. He said 6 weeks out to the retail distributors. Guess I’ll need to take my generator.

Mike
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #4

Just spoke to Deep Cycle Battery in San Diego. They are recommending the Leoch 4D to replace the Lifeline.
Does anyone have experience with this product? Looks like it should fit. Only problem is that it made in China.
Thoughts?
Matt
SCMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Try looking for a Deka/East Penn distributor or a Batteries+, they carry Duracell branded Deka/East Penn batteries including deep cycle AGM’s
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #6

I bought a new 4D Lifeline a couple months ago. It took a few weeks wait like that but came when they said. My old Lifeline was an 2008, though it was going bad the last 2 years. Another friend got over 10 years out of his. I see they say on battery to replace every 3-5 years but I'm hoping for another long run. Wonder why some last and some don't? Mine has solar, so stays charged.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

No issues with my Old (06) charge wizard.. we run everyday know I need to replace the house.. 11.9 avg not running or on shore.. I love the fact it’s still trying ��
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #8

Newb200ah that fits is next on the list
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #9

We're going on 8 years w the original Lifeline 4D and it still holds a charge but will drop to about 50% overnight with just the fridge running so I think it's on the tail end of life. We have solar and stay plugged in when not in use. My plan is to replace with a couple if carbon foam batteries as an upgrade w out going thru the added expense and complexity of lithium. Once this next set of batteries need replaced and assuming we still own the SMB, we may look at lithium which should be cheaper by then.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I bought a new 4D Lifeline a couple months ago. It took a few weeks wait like that but came when they said. My old Lifeline was an 2008, though it was going bad the last 2 years. Another friend got over 10 years out of his. I see they say on battery to replace every 3-5 years but I'm hoping for another long run. Wonder why some last and some don't? Mine has solar, so stays charged.
Battery life cycle by definition to the manufacturers is usually 80% of original capacity. The get to that number basically using a 50% discharge cycle. So when you add in actual use and environmental factors (most of those numbers are derived in a lab environment) it can give you a wide range.
Lets say are 4D started 200 Ahr capacity

The biggest factor would be your usage model. Take a guy that uses minimal lighting, occasional water pump, and run the refrigerator. Maybe he then gets up and drives or has solar to replace some of that spent energy. His depth of discharge may only 10% or 20 Ahr. This alone would give him longer life, but when you add in that the battery dies by loosing capacity. So given that his average depth of discharge is 20 Ahr he could get by on a battery that was 20% to 30%(40 to 60Ahr) of it's original state.

Now take a heavy hitter, larger fridge, runs an inverter for coffee or microwave use, runs heater overnight. Maybe his usage model is 40% depth of discharge or 80 Ahr. Now after a couple of years, his battery being at 70%. This now puts his 80 Ahr usage at more than 50% of capacity, this greater than 50% depth of discharge even accelerates the death of his battery.

Then we start adding in the appliances. Inverters, can need large amounts of current, this means there is generally a high voltage drop. Seeing as the battery now has a smaller capacity , that means you run into low voltage voltage issue, that you didn't see before.

When I had a new Lifeline 4D I could easily camp for 2 to 2.5 days. This included running the inverter in the morning to make coffee. A couple of years later on the third morning , the inverter would take a low voltage shutdown. And as is continued to age, that would become on the second morning.

The suburban furnace was another one that would fail because of voltage, as the motor couldn't meet the minimal RPM to close the vane switch.

Then you add in how you maintain your battery, do you have solar or not, and you can see it can be a big variance. I would say people that get 8 to 10 years have a small electrical foot print.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote