Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

lower powered penthouse manually?

Is it possible to lower the roof when the power goes out? How?

Prnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #2

Not clear either on how to do this - thanks for asking the question. Also related to your question - and I have asked this on this forum before - Where is the motor for the penthouse top located ? How would one replace it if it fails - thru SMB only ? Or are there other motors out there as replacement ? MINE is operating just fine - just would like to know where to get - or fix - one if it ever fails ??
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #3

Good questions. I hope someone has the answers!
Prnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #4

Yes, it is possible to lower manually. If you ran the batteries down and you have a second alternator, you can jump the house batteries by touching a hot wire to that alternator (e.g., jumper cable or wire from van hot/red to metal on alternator). My second alternator is in front of the passenger side front wheel, accessible from below. You would then need to run the van/drive it or strong idle to charge the batteries.

If that does not work then you have to detach the hydraulic levers in the back of the lift mechanism. It should be in your manual or you can call SMB to walk you through it or send you the process/diagrams. It is a pita though says the voice of experience. Good luck
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Where is the motor for the penthouse top located ? How would one replace it if it fails - thru SMB only ?

They are Linak Linear actuators and they are located laying in the roof mech channels at the rear of the roof. Most Linak actuators are custom designed for each customer and the SMB actuators are no exception.

They are commonly used in electric wheelchairs, hospital beds and loads of other devices.

They look like this......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:09 AM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Well, when "Boywonder" chimes in, YOU KNOW it will be worth listening/adhering/doing...Boywonder your a Top 5 (in my opinion) on this Forum! And Thistle is right, SMB North walked us through it and the very small cotter style pins at the end of the actuators can be removed freeing up the connection to the PH top...They did warn us that the 'weight' of the PH top will surprise the heck out of you/hurt you if you try to lower it yourself (the helper springs will keep it popped, but grabbing the PH bed holder wires, or hooks to start to pull it down) without looking for that 'surprise' as the spring helpers give way to the weight...especially if you have the EB model/top...
on an additional note, some Forum Members, when the PH top is raised, will put a locking style pole from the PH top to the van top to lock it in place incase it would give way, so as not to get caught/squashed...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #7

I'd like to chime in with a big "Hurrah" for boywonder too ! Kind enough to take time to answer private posts, etc. And personal "thanks" also to "1der" and "twoxentrix" for their one on one inputs to questions I've asked of them ! An awesome forum and "awesome-some" (not really a word !) members - P.S. - hope I didn't leave anybody out who i have asked of their time and input !?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote